Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meliss11
Channel Surfer

Roku Express stopped working

My Roku Express stopped working when I was in the middle of watching something.  It boots up but does not respond to the non-voice remote; however, I hear noise from the Roku when I push a button on the remote.  Just to be safe, I put in new batteries, but it made no difference.  I reset the Roku box, but I am stuck at the Lets Get Started as it will not respond. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express stopped working

Which model Roku is it? You can find the number on the Roku device itself. How long ago did you purchase it?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @meliss11

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. 

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
meliss11
Channel Surfer

It is plugged into a UPS, not the TV.  Model is 3900X.  I bought it several years ago, I'm sure.

0 Kudos
meliss11
Channel Surfer

Model is 3900X.  I bought it several years ago, I'm sure.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

The 3900x was released back in 2017. Have you tried plugging it straight into the wall outlet? Not your battery backup. Also reboot your modem and router. 

0 Kudos
meliss11
Channel Surfer

It has worked all this time on the UPS.  But how would the model be the cause of the problem if it will not accept any input from the remote.  I can't even do the first step of picking the language since I reset it.  I haven't gotten to the network setup part.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

I’m not saying  the model as the cause. But it tells someone how old your device is. So your Roku is roughly 5 years old now. Part of trouble shooting means trying different things. So plug it straight into the wall. Are you sure the battery should put in the remote are good? Did you reboot your modem and router? The fact that you’re Roku just quit working while you were watching something is leaning towards the fact that it’s an internal failure. That’s why I asked you which model it was

0 Kudos
meliss11
Channel Surfer

I didn't mean model.  I mistyped.  I meant to say how could the network be the problem if I can't get past the first step of the setup?  It sounds like it is going to join the graveyard of many Rokus that have just died here.  

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Roku’s are cheap. That’s the good thing. Life expectancy is about 3- 5 years. I have a Roku Stick about 5 years old. It’s still works. I have 9 Roku devices. All work great. 3 are TCL Roku TV’s. My cousin had a Roku Stick that lasted 19 months. He threw it out and bought a new one. Roku’s range from $29-99. All depends upon your budget. 

0 Kudos