Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku Express shuts off after 2 hours

Jump to solution

Our Roku Express arrived a week ago and works fine except that after a couple of hours (NOT 4 hours) it shuts off by itself. The situation is always similar: about 10PM, after watching various programs on CuriosityStream, switching from one to another with the remote, the Roku Express shuts off. First, the program freezes and the sound stops, then the TV screen blanks, then the TV screen says “no signal.” The Roku is being powered by the factory power supply that came with the Roku Express. We are using the factory remote that came with the Roku Express. 

To return to the program we were watching, I have to go through the whole turn-on-and-wade-through-menus. I read about the new 4-hour sleep mode in the latest 9.2 software. I went in and turned that “feature” OFF. In any case, it hadn’t been 4 hours, only about 2. Further, that “feature” supposedly happens only when you don’t press anything on the remote and it’s supposed to provide a warning. We had been pushing buttons on the remote to change programs within CuriosityStream and we got no warning, Roku just shut off. This has happened 3 or 4 nights in a row, not just once or twice. It’s very irritating and none of the 106 different “suggested” answers in the Roku web site were even close to this problem. 

some guidance would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Roku Express shuts off after 2 hours

Jump to solution

Progress report: Returned the Roku Express to Amazon and they sent a new one. Same problem. Now more sure it is not the hardware, I worked with my ISP and traced the problem to a fall-off of Internet bandwidth. Strange that the Roku Express goes into “restart mode” with no indication, warning, or complaint of any kind. It works perfectly until suddenly, at any time (doesn’t have to be be 2 hours) it freezes, shuts off, and restarts. I’m working with the ISP, a small local company, to see what we can do about the bandwidth issue. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

The bandwidth saver feature wouldn't produce what you're seeing.  To be honest, it sounds like you have a bad device.  Any chance you can return it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

The Roku Express came from Amazon; I should be able to exchange it. However, last night we used it for 3-1/2 hours and it did not shut off. We’ll continue experimenting for another few days before making a decision. I’ll continue to collect “ON Time” data. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Progress report: Returned the Roku Express to Amazon and they sent a new one. Same problem. Now more sure it is not the hardware, I worked with my ISP and traced the problem to a fall-off of Internet bandwidth. Strange that the Roku Express goes into “restart mode” with no indication, warning, or complaint of any kind. It works perfectly until suddenly, at any time (doesn’t have to be be 2 hours) it freezes, shuts off, and restarts. I’m working with the ISP, a small local company, to see what we can do about the bandwidth issue. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos