Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
msmall316
Level 7

Roku Express not sleeping

I have had two Roku Expresses for about a month (one for the downstairs tv, one for the upstairs tv).  I got both started just fine.  The downstairs one "sleeps" appropriately when I'm not using it (ie: when I turn the TV back on, the sleep screensaver is there, and I can press a button on the Roku remote to get back to the homescreen).  However, the upstairs one does not "sleep" appropriately.  If I come back after a prolonged period of time and turn the TV on, it does not register the device and acts like nothing is plugged into that HDMI port (it is though, I have checked multiple times).  The Roku power light is still on when I come back, but the TV doesn't show anything and acts like nothing is plugged in.  If I reach behind the TV and unplug the Roku from the wall and plug it right back into the wall, then the Roku turns on.  After it boots up, it appropriately goes to the homescreen and is completely fine to use.  Having to unplug it and replug it every time I want to use it isn't the end of the world, but it certainly is annoying and shouldn't be required.  If both of them were having the same problem, then it might have been something I am doing wrong.  Considering that I've done nothing differently with the two on the two TV's (which are identical TV's, by the way), why might the upstairs one not be sleeping appropriately?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Express not sleeping

@msmall316 

Thanks for the inquiry.

How are you powering each of your devices? Are they plugged to the TV through the USB port or are they plugged into a wall outlet?

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
msmall316
Level 7

Both devices are plugged into a wall outlet.  Specifically, they are both plugged into a power strip, and the power strips are plugged into the wall outlet (both devices are being powered in an identical fashion).  On the upstairs device (the one that isn't sleeping), I thought that maybe the power strip was the problem, so I took the outlet out of the power strip and plugged it directly into the wall, and the exact same problem with not sleeping still occurred.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@msmall316 

Thanks for the update.

After rereading your first post, I found it interesting that your TV doesn't detect the device and only when you unplug the device from it's power does the TV register the device being there. Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable connected to your TV to see if that helps the issue?

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
msmall316
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, that did not work either.  I swapped out the HDMI cord that came with the device with a brand new HDMI cord (that I just bought last night), and the same problem still persists.  I used the Roku last night, and it was working just fine.  When I turned the TV off last night, the Roku was still on.  I got up this morning, and the light on the Roku device was actually on, but when I turned on the TV, it said that there was "no signal" on the HDMI1 input (so if the Roku successfully slept for any amount of time, it did not continue to sleep through the night).  I unplugged the Roku and plugged it back in while the TV remained on, and upon being plugged back in, it booted up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@msmall316 

Edit* -

Thanks for the details. There is one more thing I'd like you to check.

On the device exhibiting this behavior, visit Settings>System>System update>Check now and make sure it is updated to the latest version of software (9.2 build 4806 for Roku Express model 3900).

Then, once it's updated, try setting the same screensaver you use on your other device and let us know if you still see the issue occurring.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos