Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RLV
Level 7

Roku Express issues / Bose Lifestyle Home

I am having screen size and resolution issues with a Roku Express.

Roku to Bose using composite cables 

Bose to TV HDMI

I am not getting full screen and screen resolution is standard 

All other devices are fine ; DVD , Dish TV

Thanks in advance- 
Rodney
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Express issues / Bose Lifestyle Home

"RLV" wrote:
I am having screen size and resolution issues with a Roku Express.

Roku to Bose using composite cables 

Bose to TV HDMI

I am not getting full screen and screen resolution is standard 

All other devices are fine ; DVD , Dish TV

Thanks in advance- 
Rodney

I assume you mean the Roku Express+ (either model 3710 or 3910). The Roku Express (models 3700 and 3900) is HDMI only and doesn't have composite output. Or you using an Express, but also have an HDMI to composite adapter in the mix?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
RLV
Level 7

Yes the unit is a Roku Express, I am using the cables that were shipped with the product ------Roku - to - Bose   -- The Bose unit does not HDMI inputs
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"RLV" wrote:
Yes the unit is a Roku Express, I am using the cables that were shipped with the product ------Roku - to - Bose   -- The Bose unit does not HDMI inputs

Your Roku is the Express+, not Express. Two different players. 
Using composite cables the video will always be standard definition. Unless you are referring to a component connection, which I believe is still limited to 1080i. But Roku hasn't offer a component out since the first generation. If you want resolution higher than SD, you have to connect directly to the TV and send the audio back to the Bose from the TV. Or else replace the Bose with something that has HDMI ports. As to the screen size, when your video is running through a separate device, there's no telling what that device (Bose) might be doing to the signal. To make sure, connect the Roku directly to the TV via HDMI and see if it's alright.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RLV
Level 7

Re: Roku Express issues / Bose Lifestyle Home

Thank you for the help...and Yes the unit is a Roku Express+

so when using the Composite cable, HD ( in my case 720P ) is not possible ----- I will do some research on the Bose unit and find out what can be done to keep the surround sound of the Bose , but get the HD quality picture. I just assumed since the Direct TV signal was HD so would the Roku, but I'm far from an expert and not fully qualified -nor do I know how the cable TV is wired into the TV or the Bose.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DBDukes
Level 10

"RLV" wrote:
Thank you for the help...and Yes the unit is a Roku Express+

so when using the Composite cable, HD ( in my case 720P ) is not possible ----- I will do some research on the Bose unit and find out what can be done to keep the surround sound of the Bose , but get the HD quality picture. I just assumed since the Direct TV signal was HD so would the Roku, but I'm far from an expert and not fully qualified -nor do I know how the cable TV is wired into the TV or the Bose.

As Dan stated, it's when you go through composite output that you only get SD. Roku Express+ will certainly output HD, but only via HDMI cable. And that's not a Roku thing. It's just a thing. No HD via composite output on anything, Roku or otherwise.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
RLV
Level 7

Getting my composite and component terms confused.

The BOSE accepts S- Video and COMPONENT inputs...So my Roku cable ( supplied ) are composite - 

as suggested I will go ROKU- TV vis HDMI on the TV and see what happens - 

thanks
0 Kudos
RLV
Level 7

UPDATE :

Roku via HDMI to TV
VIDEO : outstanding - HD - plus screen issue now gone away

but... lost the Bose AUDIO , all I get are the TV Speakers.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"RLV" wrote:
UPDATE :

Roku via HDMI to TV
VIDEO : outstanding - HD - plus screen issue now gone away

but... lost the Bose AUDIO , all I get are the TV Speakers.

If you're feeding your TV audio output to the sound system, as Dan suggested, you shouldn't be getting Roku audio through the TV speakers. Are you sure you have your TV audio going into the sound system?
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
RLV
Level 7

I have call into the Bose dealer that did the install......I sure its something simple, but no shortage of boxes and cables ----

one additional question... will the Roku Express + support any other remote ( came with a standard IR ) I have everything out of site , in a cabinet doors shut 

I will follow up w/the results when I hear back from Bose
0 Kudos