Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Percyvere
Level 7

Roku Express is interfering with bluetooth headphones.

My Roku Express is making the sound break up only when I use my bluetooth headphones. My headphones are linked to my TV screen and work perfectly with all other media.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express is interfering with bluetooth headphones.

The Roku Express does not have Bluetooth. However, Bluetooth operates in the same radio band as 2.4 GHz WiFi. There are many other devices that operate within the same frequency band, all unlicensed operations. It's possible that the channel you're using on your WiFi might be interacting with the BT headphones. I can't say why other devices don't appear to have the same issue, as every device is built to different specifications. You might try changing the channel your WiFi router uses, to see if it might have less impact to the headphones. It might merely be a coincidence that you notice it most when using the Roku. Or perhaps the Roku signal is getting "tangled" with something else in the area. 

Exactly how have you determined it's the Express causing the interference? Does it only happen when you use the remote? Is the interference in sync in some way with what is being viewed? 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Percyvere
Level 7

I have been using an older Roku device for years without this problem. I just started using my new Roku Express a couple of days ago. Yesterday, I decided to listen with my headphones. As I streamed a movie the sound kept cutting out every couple of seconds for a few seconds. It's impossible to listen to that. When I go back to the internal speakers the sound is OK. My headphones still work OK when I play a DVD for example. So it is just this new Roku causing the problem somehow. Looking at the hundreds of strange problems in the forum, I had no idea Roku players were so temperamental. My old one had problems rewinding movies on Amazon. Subtitles wouldn't work properly on a few channels. I think the best solution is for me to return this device and get a (hopefully) trouble free device, or at least a less problematic model. Is there a Roku model that you can recommend that is reliable?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I've never been a fan of the basic Express. I like the Premiere, and the new Express 4K/4K+ is a huge improvement over the basic Express. Of course, I also have several Ultra players and a couple of Roku TVs as well. I've never had a problem with any of them, other than the first Roku TV, which was defective and Best Buy immediately replaced it and it's been no trouble since. 

If you want a player that uses the WiFi Direct remote, so you don't have to have line of sight to use the remote, then the Ultra, Streaming Stick+ or the Express 4K+ would be my suggestions. If you're fine with the IR remote, then the Express 4K or the Premiere.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TeamCross
Level 7

I have the same issues with all my roku devices. Sadly that includes my ultra 4k. Intresting about the router interference. My ultra is wired to the router however my express and roku tv are wireless. Thank you all! Sorry I was not helpful. 

0 Kudos
TeamCross
Level 7

THANK YOU! I am so HAPPY! My router has the option of 2.4 or 5 so I checked which one I was using on my phone and yep 2.4 so I switched to 5 and now the problem is minor. I've been using my Samsung pro buds while writing this post and only once for about 2 seconds has it broken up. So huge improvement compared to before changing. @atc98092 this has been driving me completely bonkers thank you again!

0 Kudos