Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Just bought won’t get past update before restarting to repeat the process

Jump to solution

@Bshrum5297 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried rebooting your home network and the device, then trying to set it up again? I'd also recommend connecting the device to a different wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, and seeing if you experience the same result. There could be an issue with your network's configuration that may somehow be causing an issue, but it's hard to say. 

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mike_S1
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Express in reboot loop

Jump to solution

After struggling thru numerous factory resets, it got to the point where I couldn't get a reset / re-install to complete.

I gave up and, for lack of a better idea, purchased an Express +. It worked... until this week, when the new Roku decided it had no internet connection. When the connection was configured, it said it had internet, If you go immediately to 'check connection' it said the wifi connection was excellent, but there was NO internet.

Same process.... factory resets, re-installs, until, while searching for solutions, I found something on the internet about DNS servers. So I started playing with my routers DNS configuration.

When I switched the primary DNS from google (8.8.88) to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) my new Roku started working!

I then hooked up the old Express, which couldn't complete a configuration, and it worked! 

Doesn't make any sense to me, but it's working now.

Thanks for all of your help,

-Mike

0 Kudos
Jonesb10
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

How do I switch the primary DNS?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The Primary DNS is a setting in your router.  Ask your ISP or post the model name and number and someone may be able to help you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
djp66dna

Re: Just bought won’t get past update before restarting to repeat the process

Jump to solution

Is there a fix for this? My new express downloads the update and then goes into reboot loop until it times out back the select your language screen. The network is working fine for all other devices, has been rebooted. I've tried several cables, HDMI ports and dozens of factory resets on the ROKU. My roku stick works just fine on the same network, and TV.

0 Kudos
Krista7
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

How did you get yours to stop rebooting constantly. Mines been starting to do that this week out of nowhere and idk why. 

0 Kudos
Jonesb10
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Unfortunately I had to send it back to Amazon but I received a replacement which worked just fine. 

0 Kudos
Krista7
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’ve had mine for over a year I can’t really replace it. And I hate to have to buy another one if this is going to be an on going issue. 

0 Kudos
wildwes11

Jump to solution

HI just wanted to share.  I had a new TV with Roku built in doing the same thing.  I have several other devices on the same network with no issues.  I tried changing the bandwidth setting and that did not work.  Also, I have a new mesh network system with plenty of coverage.

I did a factory reset and reset the internet settings and that worked for me.  Thus, given issues Mike had as well as mine, I think it is safe to say it is somewhere in the Internet connection and/or setup.

0 Kudos
C1santos

Jump to solution

And how exactly I "switched the primary DNS from google (8.8.88) to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1)"?

0 Kudos