Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhrober
Level 7

Roku Express + has no video to A/V input on NAXA TV

I'm trying to use a new Roku Express Plus hooked to a 7" NAXA TV via its A/V 3.5mm  component port using a cable that has 4 conductor 3.5 mm jacks on both sides. (3.5 mm plug hooked to Roku A/V out port and the other end is also a 3.5 mm plug plugged into the AV1 Port on the NAXA TV)
When the source on the NAXA TV (Model NT-70) is set to AV1 (from the Roku) the "picture"  is scrambled like it's not syncing or the TV displays "no signal".
Should this configuration work with such a cable? (The little TV does not have the typical RCA Component jacks just 3.5 mm A/V ports.)
BTW ...The Roku Express Plus device DOES work to another TV using the supplied Component 3.5 mm cable with  the RCA connectors.
Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
wallydog
Level 7

Re: Roku Express + has no video to A/V input on NAXA TV

"jhrober" wrote:
I'm trying to use a new Roku Express Plus hooked to a 7" NAXA TV via its A/V 3.5mm  component port using a cable that has 4 conductor 3.5 mm jacks on both sides. (3.5 mm plug hooked to Roku A/V out port and the other end is also a 3.5 mm plug plugged into the AV1 Port on the NAXA TV)
When the source on the NAXA TV (Model NT-70) is set to AV1 (from the Roku) the "picture"  is scrambled like it's not syncing or the TV displays "no signal".
Should this configuration work with such a cable? (The little TV does not have the typical RCA Component jacks just 3.5 mm A/V ports.)
BTW ...The Roku Express Plus device DOES work to another TV using the supplied Component 3.5 mm cable with  the RCA connectors.
Any help is appreciated.

I've had small portable tv's in the past that had the 3.5 mm ports and used a 3.5 mm to coax adapter I had to tune the tv to channel 3 to get it to work with a vcr. You said you have an avi in so you need a 3.5 mm to coax adapter then a coax to component adapter box . They used to make the adapter boxes for older tv's that only had coaxial in . I don't know if you google them you may find one . The boxes are called RF modulators .
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

I do have my Roku Express Plus composite cables (yellow, red, white) connected to the Roku a/v and TV a/v. They have no problem with my Viewsonic TV and also okay with my LG TV. I prefer the composite and its a/v signal as the HDMI signal eats up Internet data ;like candy
I am not familiar with the TV model you have but I assume it would have the yellow (video), red and white (audio) ports and would not know why you cannot get a decent a/v signal. I assume the TV is NTSC.  I thought component was difference than composite but it has been a few years since I studied them.  I guess maybe try Google about your TV and see if it does have composite ports..
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
tuna33
Level 8

The instructions don't seem to suggest that you need something special....
http://www.naxa.com/downloads/NT-70_EN_manual_v0.9.pdf
I don't know, seems like the problem has to be something simple being overlooked....  What do you get with AV2?
0 Kudos
jhrober
Level 7

"tuna33" wrote:
I don't know, seems like the problem has to be something simple being overlooked....  What do you get with AV2?

I agree. Looks like it should work just fine. Yes... the AV2 port has the same results. As simple as it is I don't know what might be overlooked. The only things I can think of is the pin assignments on the NAXA side are different then the pin assignments on the Roku side (Doesn't make sense) OR the AV1 & AV2 circuit in the NAXA are bad. (I don't have another way to test that).
Ugh
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"jhrober" wrote:
"tuna33" wrote:

I agree. Looks like it should work just fine. Yes... the AV2 port has the same results. As simple as it is I don't know what might be overlooked. The only things I can think of is the pin assignments on the NAXA side are different then the pin assignments on the Roku side (Doesn't make sense) OR the AV1 & AV2 circuit in the NAXA are bad. (I don't have another way to test that).
Ugh

I can nearly guarantee the pin assignments aren't the same.  you'll have to get breakout cables for both and then barrel couplers to connect the correct colors to each other.  I don't believe there is a "standard" for 3.5mm to RCA.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Time to buy a better small TV, I think.. try to find one with HDMI, to solve this issue. Less cables/adapters=less chance of failure.

Eleclink 10.1 Inch Portable LCD Display With 1024x600 Resolution HD 1080P HDMI Monitor For Raspberry Pi 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6ZCVEI/re ... tAbKQH0QD6

Not a real solution for your issues for your existing hardware, but this is just how I'd handle it. I had a TV with severe overscan issues that made watching certain Roku channels "annoying".. instead of waiting for a fix or trying too hard to hack the TV software to get to overscan settings, I just bought a new TV and sold the old one.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
jhrober
Level 7

"twiceover" wrote:
"jhrober" wrote:
"tuna33" wrote:

Ugh

I can nearly guarantee the pin assignments aren't the same.  you'll have to get breakout cables for both and then barrel couplers to connect the correct colors to each other.  I don't believe there is a "standard" for 3.5mm to RCA.

Yes... I've already ordered a cheap set of breakout cables to try your suggestion. If that doesn't work I may look at a better TV as Jefrok suggested OR just continue to use the built in TV tuner on the NAXA as I have been doing.... this little TV is primary used in my  workshop shop as "background entertainment" anyway. 
0 Kudos
tuna33
Level 8

I have an older Roku HD (2500X) and it has three individual RCA-type output connectors (yellow video, red and white audio) (verses the single output connector on the Express+).  If you could get one of these (or some other model with individual connectors) you could just swap the cables around at the Roku and see what you get. At the Roku unit, you already know that the Yellow connector is the Video connector, so there's really only one wire to deal with there; leave the audio connectors disconnected to avoid confusion.

If you had spare cables for both the Roku Express+ and the TV, you could just cut the unwanted ends off, strip the individual wires, and experiment with different combinations of wire ends touching/lightly spliced each other until your TV picture works.  Hopefully, the wires would be logically/customarily colored.  Well, not knowing anything, that's what I'd do... :?
0 Kudos
tuna33
Level 8

OK, forget that.  For only $5 you can have a lot of fun experimenting -- cut just this cord and "reconnect" the ends.  Once you see the colors of the individual wires, it may be easier than you think.  Writing out the possible connections ahead of time and using that list will save time and confusion.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-6-male-to-male-4-conductor-trrs-3-5mm-cable-black/8441628.p?skuId...

The AV cable from my Express+ has only three wires, based on the outside appearance of the three-lengthwise segments comprising the length of the cable, so I have no idea why the cable above has four connectors...  :?:   What's "TRSS"?  I'm sure that's a clue....  Anyway, the referenced cable has four distinct metal segments comprising the plug, just like the Roku Express+ 3.5 mm connector.
0 Kudos