Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tuna33
Level 8

Re: Roku Express + has no video to A/V input on NAXA TV

Sorry, jhrober — I did not see, until now, that you had already ordered your diagnostic supplies.  Anyway, let us know what you discover.
0 Kudos
jhrober
Level 7

"tuna33" wrote:
OK, forget that.  For only $5 you can have a lot of fun experimenting -- cut just this cord and "reconnect" the ends.  Once you see the colors of the individual wires, it may be easier than you think.  Writing out the possible connections ahead of time and using that list will save time and confusion.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-6-male-to-male-4-conductor-trrs-3-5mm-cable-black/8441628.p?skuId...

The AV cable from my Express+ has only three wires, based on the outside appearance of the three-lengthwise segments comprising the length of the cable, so I have no idea why the cable above has four connectors...  :?:   What's "TRSS"?  I'm sure that's a clue....  Anyway, the referenced cable has four distinct metal segments comprising the plug, just like the Roku Express+ 3.5 mm connector.

Yes... Component cables have three wires (signals).... The "4th connector" is for the signal ground. TRRS stands for "Tip" "Ring" Ring" "Sleeve" (I looked it upSmiley Happy The number of connections may vary like TS TRS TRRS depending on the number of conductors. Tip and Sleeve being minimal.  So now my concern is... which of the 4 conductors on each device is the Ground Signal. If those are different end to end I don't think it will work no matter how the barrel connectors are swapped around. I will report back regardless of what happens.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Are you swapping the word "component" for "composite"?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
tuna33
Level 8

Well, it sounds like a lot of fun to me.  As long as you test systematically and orderly, you should get it.  The fourth wire pairing that does not yield either video or sound will be that signal ground, which I guess you can disregard, or connect anyway....
0 Kudos
jhrober
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:

Yeah... Sorry... I think I have them interchanged.... I'm referencing the Yellow Video Connector along with the White and Red Audio Connectors.
Sorry
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

"jhrober" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:

Yeah... Sorry... I think I have them interchanged.... I'm referencing the Yellow Video Connector along with the White and Red Audio Connectors.
Sorry

Yep, those are composite, not component. Component video has three cables (red, green and blue), with audio either via digital optical or analog left/right (red and white) cables. Yellow is always analog composite video.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jhrober
Level 7

Ok... so I think the verdict is in. After trying different connections with the "diagnostic cable" the issue did not improve.
The best it does is a "scrambled picture"... kind'a looks like the Horizontal Hold (of the old days) is not synced.... you can barely make out the "ROKU" startup screen.
 I think the bottom line is that the NAXA TV is the problem.... and I see no TV settings that help it either.
 Who'da thunk?
Thanks for all the input!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
tuna33
Level 8

Well, that's too bad.  I was anticipating success.  The only thing/remote possibility I can think of is if the TV has a "service only" adjustment on it.  I know that my LG TVs have something on  the back, although I don't know what its "repair" function is....  That's all I have.

Does it work via antenna ( digital OTA)?  If so, maybe there is an adapter that you can plug your output Roku RCA plugs into and have the TV signal input as coax...?  Something like this, but without signal conversion to analog:

https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Composite-Coax-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B06XC9Y3VB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa/143-504286...
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

My Express Plus has composite video (yellow) plus composite audio ( red and white) . my TV has a/v...audio/video with inputs of yellow, and red and white. No problem. Maybe your TV does not have composite? If your connections are component. Express Plus does not have that capability.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
jhrober
Level 7

"tuna33" wrote:
Well, that's too bad.  I was anticipating success.  The only thing/remote possibility I can think of is if the TV has a "service only" adjustment on it.  I know that my LG TVs have something on  the back, although I don't know what its "repair" function is....  That's all I have.

Does it work via antenna ( digital OTA)?  If so, maybe there is an adapter that you can plug your output Roku RCA plugs into and have the TV signal input as coax...?  Something like this, but without signal conversion to analog:

https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Composite-Coax-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B06XC9Y3VB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa/143-504286...

I'm quite certain it IS simply a four conductor 3.5 mm A/V (Composite) input on the NAXA... (Video/Left/Right/Gnd)
Yes, the OTA works fine and there is no "Service" buttons on the set. It's a small, cheap TV and I'm not going any further with the effort.
It was fun to fool around with but I'm cutting my losses... a diagnostic cable is as far as I'm going with it.
If anything I may eventually get a little bigger and better video screen with a HDMI port on it. 
0 Kudos