Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express black screen after startup

@RJ13

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Roku 3 is an older Roku device that is no longer under warranty. It's possible that the device may simply be on its way out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Captainloozer
Channel Surfer

Keep in mind, if these things are only built to last a few years I'll probably look elsewhere for my next streaming device.  Especially with some service providers giving them away for free now.

From as many posts as we see here about the problem being most likely after an update, it is likely induced by a Roku software bug and not negligence or hardware age.  If saying the device is "on it's way out" after a year of no real solution being presented is the best answer we can get, I would advise everyone else to do the same.  

0 Kudos
dobick
Channel Surfer

If you are using express plus you must set resolution to 720p TV.  Some updates will set this to auto detect.

0 Kudos
Captainloozer
Channel Surfer

How can I change the resolution if I can’t see anything 

@dobick wrote:

If you are using express plus you must set resolution to 720p TV.  Some updates will set this to auto detect.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @Captainloozer

We're here to help!

Since your last posts in this thread were a year ago, could you keep us updated on the issue you're experiencing? With more information, we can assist you further.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Captainloozer
Channel Surfer

I’m having the same issue as the OP.  After an update to my roku express it only shows the bouncing roku logo upon boot up then goes to a black screen.  tv is saying no signal but it is recognizing what port I plug it into.  Worked fine before the update.  Doesn’t work on any TVs I have but other devices work fine.

@RokuKariza-D wrote:

Hey @Captainloozer

We're here to help!

Since your last posts in this thread were a year ago, could you keep us updated on the issue you're experiencing? With more information, we can assist you further.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Captainloozer

Thanks for the reply.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Captainloozer
Channel Surfer

I’m powering the device with the included power cable plugged into wall.  As stated before I was not having issues prior to the update.  This is absolutely a software issue.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Captainloozer

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please bare with us while we exhaust all possible troubleshooting steps to help resolve the issue you're experiencing. 

If you haven't tried yet, we suggest performing a factory reset on the affected Roku device. Feel free to follow the steps below:

Performing a factory reset using the hardware reset button

1. On the back or bottom of each Roku device is a reset button. On some devices, there is a tactile button, while other devices have a pinhole button. 
  2. If your device has a pinhole button, you will need a paperclip to perform the factory reset.
  3. Once the reset button is located and your Roku device is powered on, press and hold the reset button firmly for about 10 seconds. The indicator light or status LED will blink rapidly on most Roku devices when the factory reset is complete.

For more information, check out this Support article: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku® streaming device

If still no dice, reply here with the device ID of the Roku device. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Captainloozer
Channel Surfer

Thank you for trying to help.  I  have factory reset the device many times.  Each time it will display the bouncing roku logo but then go to a black screen.  I can see the white light turn on and off when I press the remote buttons so I know it is still on and working but I just can't see anything anymore.

0 Kudos