Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zeromtrx
Reel Rookie

Roku Express black screen after startup

After an update sometime last night my Roku will show the into/logo screen and then goes black. 

I did a soft and hard reset. I unplugged it, turned my TV off and on, nothing works.

The Roku works on another smaller TV but not mine. 

I haven't found a solution in the community for this issue. 

33 REPLIES 33
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express black screen after startup

@Zeromtrx 

Thanks for the inquiry.

If the device works on another TV and doesn't work on another, it would appear to be a connection issue. Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable being used to connect the device? Have you tried using another HDMI port on the TV as well to see if that resolves the issue? How is the device being powered? Is it being plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet with the provided cables?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cmwhite
Reel Rookie

I just got a new roku express, got it hooked up to my internet did the update then after that the screen is black. I can hit buttons and hear it but there is no screen. 

0 Kudos
Zeromtrx
Reel Rookie

I tried switching the ports and it didn't help. I'll try and find a new HDMI cable and see if that helps.

The Roku is plugged into a wall outlet. 

Same problem here. After update screen goes black and white/ blue light keeps flashing. Samsung TV. 

necmac
Channel Surfer

Stick worked for about a month and quit after doing the the software upgrade on my stick.  Have tried all suggestions on this site as well as the internet to correct this black/dark screen except replacing router or using a second hdmi port (there is only one on my SONY TV). Have tried the stick on two other TVs where I normally use ROKU Ultras and it does the same thing. This problem seems to be persistent, pretty straightforward (software upgrade related), relatively easy to correct (by going back to the previous software version, replacing the defective product or refunding the money paid for the malfunctioning product) and accompanied by a consistently unresponsive ROKU, Inc. 

Looking for a solution.  Best Buy will not take the stick back and they told me to contact ROKU.  Have tried to find a way to contact ROKU to no avail.  

[post edited]

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@necmac 

Thanks for the note.

I have passed along your concerns to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dbrymer87
Reel Rookie

I've only had mine 30 days from Walmart the steaming player won't come on at all no word from support

Donielle Brymer
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@Dbrymer87  Thanks for the note. You'll want to make sure you are powering your device using the included wall power adapter. You can also try using a different micro-USB cable and/or wall power supply, such as one from a mobile device, to see if this allows your device to start normally. We'd also recommend trying to replace the HDMI cable that connects your device to your TV, or plugging the HDMI cable into a different port on your TV. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Cmwhite
Reel Rookie

I have done all of that. Still doesn’t work after the update. 

0 Kudos