Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Express+ Screen Only Displaying 1/4 of TV Screen-possible solution???

Jump to solution

The sad part of this issue is I can even tell you what it is doing, it's playing the video at 1080p, which is 1/4 of the 4k TV resolution, so it is only showing in 1/4 of the screen.  Something with the latest update is causing the Roku not to upscale the video from 1080p to 4k.  I don't know if it's only limited to a few apps, my problem is specifically with YoutubeTV, which is my default app when I turn my system on.  All I have to do to fix it is go back to the main menu, then start the app again.  This is annoying, but it works.  I agree the asking what brand and model of TV is annoying and a waste of time.  I can't believe they don't know or can't figure out what is wrong when it is obvious, they just need to figure out how to fix it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have only had the Roku Express for 1 day and like so many others I too have had the same issue where the image covered just over a 1/4 of the screen. I tried changing the display settings but without success.

I took Katmac13's advice and restarted the Roku Express!

Just unplug the power USB cable, give a few seconds and plug it back in.... guess what it works and back to normal.

Clearly this behaviour isn't normal and could happen again. So Roku Support your input and a firmware update to fix this issue would very much appreciated. There are so many people experiencing the same issue so please fix it.
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have a new Roku Express and it is doing exactly this. I’m tempted to take it right back to where I bought it. Is there any resolution for this issue? Very disappointed.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Hi everyone, 

If you're still running into an issue where your Express' display is only appearing in 1/4 of your TV screen, please try checking for a system update in Settings>System>System update>Check now. 

Please let us know if this helps clear up the issue. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue as others describe. Model 3930X. I checked for System Updates and it is fully updated already. I've had the device for less than 24 hours. Please suggest other fixes.

Thanks,

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@jenm  Thanks for the note here. Please restart your device once more by disconnecting the power for a moment, then plug it back in and check for a system update again. 

Let me know if that helps clear up the issue! If not, please also include the specific make and model of TV that you're seeing this issue on. This information helps with our continued investigation. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I also am having the issue on an LG tv.  Slightly older model (dont have it handy to check).  Is this just an LG issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Unfortunately that did not help. Someone is helping me via private message on Reddit. We have not found a solution yet.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Hi!
We just tried this and were previously having the 1/4 screen problem and it solved it for us. Thank you!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem with my Vizio D24f-F1. Factory reset everything but it still does this. The Vizio Smartcast plays full screen but the Roku will not. I got the Roku only for the Spectrum App. The Vizio Smartcast won’t play the spectrum app.

0 Kudos