Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Janesdf
Level 7

Roku Express Outsized Picture with hdmi

Hi,

I am using a spare pc monitor as a tv without the pc. It has no hdmi port, so I purchased a vga to hdmi adapter with an audio port to plug my speakers into. Excellent audio and picture, no issues. However, I just received a set top box so I could also use this same monitor with an indoor antenna to watch local channels. After connecting the monitor using the same vga to hdmi adapter to the STB and connecting the antenna to the STB, still has great picture and audio.

However, as my monitor has no hdmi port, but does have a div port, I purchased a div to hdmi adapter. When I connect the Roku to the monitor through the div with hdmi adapter, the Roku home screen with all of my channels is oversized and shifted far to the right, being cut off at the monitor. BUT, if I click a channel on the home screen, the video is fine, but, no sound.

For audio and video, if I use the vga to hdmi adapter to watch local tv channels, I have to disconnect the vga to hdmi adapter from the Roku and connect it to the STB. Or, disconnect from the STB and connect to the Roku Express to watch streaming channels.
If I reverse the connections, connect the Roku to the div port with hdmi adapter, the Roku displays "out of range".

Is there a way to connect both the Roku Express AND the STB to this monitor so that I get the same excellent picture quality and sound.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Roku Express Outsized Picture with hdmi

"Janesdf" wrote:
Hi,

I am using a spare pc monitor as a tv without the pc.  It has no hdmi port, so I purchased a vga to hdmi adapter with an audio port to plug my speakers into.  Excellent audio and picture, no issues.  However, I just received a set top box so I could also use this same monitor with an indoor antenna to watch local channels.  After connecting the monitor using the same vga to hdmi adapter to the STB and connecting the antenna to the STB, still has great picture and audio.

However, as my monitor has no hdmi port, but does have a div port, I purchased a div to hdmi adapter.  When I connect the Roku to the monitor through the div with hdmi adapter, the Roku home screen with all of my channels is oversized and shifted far to the right, being cut off at the monitor.  BUT, if I click a channel on the home screen, the video is fine, but, no sound.

For audio and video, if I use the vga to hdmi adapter to watch local tv channels, I have to disconnect the vga to hdmi adapter from the Roku and connect it to the STB.  Or, disconnect from the STB and connect to the Roku Express to watch streaming channels.
If I reverse the connections, connect the Roku to the div port with hdmi adapter, the Roku displays "out of range".

Is there a way to connect both the Roku Express AND the STB to this monitor so that I get the same excellent picture quality and sound.

I don't know that I'm gonna be much help, but I do have a question. It's because the Roku Express is actually a set top box. So, you might want to actually state what the other set top box is, to include the model number. And, not sure if it matters, but is your Express model 3700 or 3900?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos