Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris3460
Reel Rookie

Roku Express Only Part Screen Until Reboot

I just picked up a Roku Express about 10 days ago.  I've noticed everything looks fine until I start to play a video, and then the video is only in the upper left of the screen.  All menus are full screen, but when I play a video it only takes up part of the screen.  If I restart the Roku, everything works correctly for a while, and then it starts happening again.  Any idea what I should be looking for?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express Only Part Screen Until Reboot

Hi @Chris3460

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels installed on your Roku? Could you tell us how are you powering your device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet?

Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Chris3460
Reel Rookie

It's connected to the wall outlet.  So far I've noticed it on  both the Prime Video and Netflix channels.  When I see it again I can poke around on other channels to see if they're all doing it.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Chris3460

Thanks for the reply.

In some cases, removing the affected channel/s and then reinstalling them may help. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Try setting you Roku's Display type setting to the actual resolution of your TV set instead of the Auto detect setting.

Settings > Display type

When you change the Display type to a new setting it runs you through several screens:

• A screen where you can choose from the available options supported by your Roku device.
  • A screen where it analyzes your choice to be sure your tv supports it, then gives the option of trying that choice if you wish.
  • A screen with a countdown timer and two choices:
        Yes, screen looks good
        No, I will choose a different setting
    The "No" option is highlighted by default. To keep the screen resolution you're currently trying, you need to arrow up to the "Yes" option and click on it before the timer runs out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos