Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dannyone11
Level 7

Roku Express + No Video from Composite Cable

Jump to solution

I had a set up with Uverse where I I was able to play their receiver through both an HDMI connection to the main TV...and plug composite cables into another older tv in the bathroom at the same time. I switched to Spectrum and Roku and bought the Roku Express + with composite cables in order to do the same thing. The problem is I am only generating audio to the older tv...No Video through the yellow cable. Any ideas how to pass component video through the Roku simultaneously while using the HDMI port as well?  thx much 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express + No Video from Composite Cable

Jump to solution
Like @renojim, I don't know if the Roku Express will output both video over the HDMI port and composite at the same time. I doubt it will because composite is limited to standard definition and the HDMI is typically at a higher resolution.

If you want to do this, you'll probably need to run your HDMI output through a separate device to split out the composite video and audio while still passing through the full HDMI signal to the main tv. Here's such an example at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Converter-Composite-Splitter-Support/dp/B07KVRYWDF?th=1
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
renojim

Jump to solution

I believe that's not possible.  You can verify by disconnecting the HDMI cable and see if you get video from the composite video output.  If so, then plug the HDMI cable back in and see if it disappears.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution
Like @renojim, I don't know if the Roku Express will output both video over the HDMI port and composite at the same time. I doubt it will because composite is limited to standard definition and the HDMI is typically at a higher resolution.

If you want to do this, you'll probably need to run your HDMI output through a separate device to split out the composite video and audio while still passing through the full HDMI signal to the main tv. Here's such an example at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Converter-Composite-Splitter-Support/dp/B07KVRYWDF?th=1
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
dannyone11
Level 7

Jump to solution

thank you. I actually went ahead and purchased that device on Amazon yesterday. The composite cables hooked to a vcr are just used to shoot the same signal through a coaxial cable to a small bathroom tv to play the same program at the same time it plays in the bedroom. They seem to believe this will do the trick so fingers crossed. thx again.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Level 12

Jump to solution

@makaiguy wrote:

The reason why Roku models with HDMI and RCA outputs will probably not output the video and audio through both HDMI and RCA at the same time unless you run the HDMI port through a separate device is because for some reason, the Platform Secret Screen feature seems to have stopped supporting Select all resolutions. I wish they brought back that selection, but sadly, they don’t. One of the HDMI only Roku model users on a question about using the Roku 4200X 3 in 4:3 even said this:

“ALL Roku's are able to have 4:3 mode....ROku just took it away from Non Compostite Roku's because they thought it was a good idea...which its not....

THey don't realize they will sell a bit more ROKU devices if they left the 4:3 Option available besides the 16:9 or 720 or 1080 options.

People who have Roku's usually buy more for their other displays...including 4:3 VGA monitors and CRT TVs.....even thought Newer Roku devices no longer have Composite out...that's OK, we find a way BUT we need 4:3 mode.

It is a TERRIBLE suggestion to tell a customer to Just get a Roku Express+ or something like that.....nobody should have to buy another device just to fix a problem that can easily be fixed on their current device.

I personally Use my NON-Composite HDMI Only Roku's on many different displays for single purposes....and unfortunately was infuriated to see a simple removal of a 4:3 option ruined them all.

Put 4:3 mode back PLEASE ROKU!”

Poster of that comment is @church2016.

~Jordan

0 Kudos