Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Acacia
Channel Surfer

Roku Express - Black Screen, unresponsive, will not even respond to hard reset

I have a Roku Express, circa 2019. We haven't used it in perhaps a year. Tried to fire it up last night, but there is no signal.

Symptoms:

• White "power on" light is on and steady
  • No signal to tv or projector. No boot/load screen, nothing.
  • No response to remote control, either from the power light or on the screen
  • No response to home x5 - up - rewind - rewind - forward - forward command

and here is where it gets a little bit odd

• Will not respond to a hard reset. I have a pinhole button on the back. A 1 second press, 20 second press, or more yield nothing. Nothing onscreen, and zero response in the power light. It doesn't flash, flicker, turn on and off, or change color

What I've tried:

• Plugging the Roku HDMI into another device (cable works)
  • Plugging the Roku into a different, confirmed working HDMI (no response)
  • Reset via remote (nothing)
  • Quick pinhole reset (no response)
  • Long pinhole reset (no response)
  • Long pinhole reset and unplugging the unit (no response)
  • Unplugging the Roku, waiting, and plugging back in (white light comes back on, no other response)
  • Plugging the Roku directly to a different TV (no response)

As I alluded, what baffles me most is the lack of any response at all to a hard reset. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express - Black Screen, unresponsive, will not even respond to hard reset

@Acacia wrote:

As I alluded, what baffles me most is the lack of any response at all to a hard reset. Any thoughts?

To initiate a Factory reset via the reset button, with power on to the unit, you must press and hold the reset button for a MINIMUM of 30 seconds - I'd give it at least  40 just to be sure.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express - Black Screen, unresponsive, will not even respond to hard reset

@Acacia 

In addition to what @makaiguy recommends, make sure you are powering it with the supplied USB AC adapter (or other 1.0+ amp adapter) and not your TV - sometimes replugging the AC adapter is necessary.

If ultimately it doesnt respond regardless, I recommend replacing it with the $30 Express 4K+ - you can also check https://my.roku.com/upgrade/   for upgrade offers (I dont recommend any regular Express model).

0 Kudos
Acacia
Channel Surfer

@makaiguy wrote:

To initiate a Factory reset via the reset button, with power on to the unit, you must press and hold the reset button for a MINIMUM of 30 seconds - I'd give it at least  40 just to be sure.

Yeah, unfortunately I've tried 30, 40, 50. Same lack of response. Thanks for the tip, though.

I wonder why the advice is so all over the map, though. Isn't there official documentation somewhere?

0 Kudos
Acacia
Channel Surfer

@StreamerUser wrote:

@Acacia 

powering it with the supplied USB AC adapter (or other 1.0+ amp adapter) and not your TV - sometimes replugging the AC adapter is necessary.

Yes, 1A, 5V plugged directly into two different surge protectors :T Thanks.

And yes, I'm worried that replacement is the only option given the lack of any precedent / forum topics / documentation for what I'm facing.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Acacia

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Acacia wrote:

I wonder why the advice is so all over the map, though. Isn't there official documentation somewhere?

Not sure what is "all over the map", but there is official support documentation at support.roku.com - you can search using specific terms/phrases/ideas and will be presented with all the matching support article results as you type your search.

As far as being given different considerations/things to try, this is how troubleshooting works, especially with limited information.

0 Kudos
Acacia
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@Acacia

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Yes, certainly.

Model: 3930X

SN: S008299YM4XJ

0 Kudos
Acacia
Channel Surfer

@StreamerUser wrote:

Not sure what is "all over the map", but there is official support documentation at support.roku.com

Certainly I'm not vested in quibbling, but the document there reads:

"Once the reset button is located and your Roku device is powered on, press and hold the reset button firmly for about 10 seconds."

An above response directs a minimum 30 seconds. Other sites state 20 seconds. Some say to hold and let go, some to hold until it blinks rapidly, and still others to hold for 15 (or 30) seconds and then unplug before releasing the reset button.

I tried them all, why not, but it feels a bit like "blow into the NES cartridge" where everyone has their secret sauce that just might work.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Acacia wrote:

@StreamerUser wrote:

Not sure what is "all over the map", but there is official support documentation at support.roku.com

Certainly I'm not vested in quibbling, but the document there reads:

"Once the reset button is located and your Roku device is powered on, press and hold the reset button firmly for about 10 seconds."

An above response directs a minimum 30 seconds. Other sites state 20 seconds. Some say to hold and let go, some to hold until it blinks rapidly, and still others to hold for 15 (or 30) seconds and then unplug before releasing the reset button.

I tried them all, why not, but it feels a bit like "blow into the NES cartridge" where everyone has their secret sauce that just might work.

Cant address other sites, and Roku certainly isnt responsible for them, but they are responsible for the accuracy/consistency/usability of their own support articles/documentation, specifically as relates to holding time for Factory Resets as stated in https://support.roku.com/article/208757008

Roku often neglects their support articles, and when they do update them, they only partially do often leaving entirely outdated/inaccurate information, so that is very legitimate criticism (I make it myself on occasion).

Regardless, the inaccurate/outdated information is why you are advised specifically for 30 (better 45 to be sure) seconds.

However, just as with all device Factory Reset timing, holding longer is better to be sure, so that's consistent with CE in general.

FYI, blowing in the cartridge does work sometimes, if there is dust/debris/detritus, though overall it is probably a bad idea as warm moist salty air is a corrosive and can build up over time, so its best practice to open and clean with an eraser/alcohol.

@RokuDanny-R  could you have the Factory Reset article updated to reflect a time of 30 seconds (at least/minimum)?