Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gytaryst
Level 7

Roku Express Audio

I just bought a Roku Express stick. Sometimes there is no audio and I can't figure out why. Audio works fine everywhere else
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Express Audio

More information, please. Is the Stick plugged directly into the TV, or an AVR? What brand/model of TV/AVR? No sound at all (no Roku menu sounds), or just from video playback? What channel(s)?
Also,I don't know of an Express Stick. Are you somewhere other than the US?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Gytaryst
Level 7

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/roku-expre ... lsrc=aw.ds

I bought it at Best Buy for $30. It said "Express" on it. Maybe it's not a "stick" - I have no idea. First one I ever bought.

The ROKU is plugged into the TV, which is a Vizio. I suppose (technically) it's a 60" theater display - not a "TV" since it has no tuner to receive over the air broadcasts. The "TV" is connected to an Onkyo surround sound system via a fiber optic cable. The volume on the TV itself is turned down.

Sometimes the ROKU plays fine with no problems. Then other times there is no sound on the menu or any channels. The sound is there if I turn up the TV volume, it just doesn't come thru the surround every time.

I also have a bluray player hooked to the surround and it comes thru all the time, every time with no problems.

Wondering why the ROKU comes thru sometimes, and not other times. Very annoying
0 Kudos
Gytaryst
Level 7

Since posting this question I got tired of messing with it and moved the ROKU to the TV upstairs. That TV is a 60" Samsung and I am not currently using any external sound system with it. So far I haven't had an issue with no sound.

We were thinking about buying another ROKU so we could have one on both TV's, but if I can't get the sound issue figured out on the Vizio I'm not going to waste my money on another one.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Unfortunately, feeding audio into the display then back out the optical can be hit or miss, and not just with a Roku. I have no idea what audio settings your display has, so it's possible there's something available in there that might address it. My suggestion is to replace your AVR with one that supports HDMI, or if yours does connect to it, not the display. What you might be encountering is Dolby Digital + audio from certain channels that your display can't process, so nothing gets sent back to your Onkyo.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos