Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ispyce
Streaming Star

Roku Express: Audio Out of Sync

So I just wanted to update this with the solution I found. Somebody in another thread suggested it- under your Roku settings on your TV, scroll over, then down to "Display Type". If it is set at 1080p, try switching it down to 720p (or depending on your TV, simply choose a lower resolution). This should hopefully fix issues with buffering and audio/video being out of sync.

-----------------------------------------

I have a Roku Express and a Sony Vizio TV (model # E420VO; it's close to 10 years old at this point)

I've been having this issue for as long as I can remember. The two channels/apps that are the worst are Prime and CNN. I'll be watching and everything is fine, but then there will be occasional stuttering and buffering which leads to audio/video being out of sync, sometimes only slightly, but right now I'm watching CNN and it's pretty bad, lagging by several seconds.

I have...

Exited the channel and reloaded... nothing.
Turned off TV. Restarted.. nothing.
Restarted Roku... nothing
Unplugged and reset Roku... nothing
Turned off computer and restarted (in case any games might be affecting bandwidth)... nothing
Unplugged and turned off modem and router and restarted... nothing
Changed audio settings to stereo... nothing
Checked for Roku updates... nothing

I have tried all suggestions given and the audio still goes in/out of sync. Occasionally restarting the app/Roku/modem will help for a short period of time, but then it will return to stuttering/buffering and fall out of sync.

Is there anything else I can do or try? If I buy a newer Roku device, will the problems stop? Maybe mine is just too old? (Have had it a little over 3 years now.) Or maybe getting a new HDMI cable? I don't have this issue so much with other channels/apps. It seems limited, for now anyway, to Prime Video and CNN.

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Zuli

Re: Roku Express: Audio Out of Sync

I have the same problem. It seems to have gotten worse in the past month or two - I don't remember having it before. And no agent support is available for this model. 

I have super fast internet so that's not it. 

0 Kudos

same problem

0 Kudos
ispyce
Streaming Star

So I just wanted to update this with the solution I found. Somebody in another thread suggested it- under your Roku settings on your TV, scroll over, then down to "Display Type". If it is set at 1080p, try switching it down to 720p (or depending on your TV, simply choose a lower resolution). This should hopefully fix issues with buffering and audio/video being out of sync.

0 Kudos
myjawn

same problem.   This product is not working.  Does "express" mean "non working product"?  Can I get my money back?

LVdprrhs
Binge Watcher

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. I quit YouTube TV because Every Single Show I Watched had audio out of sync eventually, & now it's happening on Hulu, Pluto, Comet & CW. 

----------------------------------

So, tried it. It worked, temporarily. When I can get the remote to work on Pluto, lowering to 720 works. However, 720 didn't work on the Roku Channel so I returned it to auto-detect. Show plays fine for about 10 minutes, slides out of sync again, change to 720, OK. 

Will say again as I have on others posts: This is ridiculous.

0 Kudos
JackIris

Same problem with older Visio tv.  I tried it with our Roku that has the volume and a power button on it and I do not have a problem. It is only the Roku express. It is very noticeable on Turner classic movies. Same symptoms as everyone else. After an hour or so it may clear up.  

0 Kudos

It is shameful that ROKU will not respond to this now widespread problem! Restarting will last a few hours then it goes out of sync again. Nothing works with both ROKU streaming sticks. I have tried every recommendation!

0 Kudos
Tallhorse
Reel Rookie

I am having the same problem with live feed from Paramount All Access, but not pre-programming or any other network.  D/L speed is ok, at least for everything else.  I don't know if the problem is with the local TV network for CBS, or Paramount itself, or my internet provider (Windstream), or the Roku.  Everything works find except live streaming from CBS.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Tallhorse

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos