Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Texas-Mark
Level 8

Roku Express Apple TV video and audio issue

Tried to search here but did not come up with the exact same issue.  When I use the Apple TV app, I have constant video "glitches" and corresponding audio dropouts. This only happens with the Apple TV app (since day one). All others apps work fine. I have even tried connecting to a different wifi network with the same results. I've done all of the usual things like uninstalling the app, resetting network, etc. The only thing I have not done is a factory reset. Anyone else have this problem? Any other suggestions? 

9 Replies
Realdine
Level 9

Re: Roku Express Apple TV video and audio issue

Try forcing stereo pcm in the audio setting. It worked for me with the roku premiere and the stick+.

0 Kudos
Texas-Mark
Level 8

Yes I can use PCM to minimize the audio dropouts (still have video glitches), but it defeats the purpose of having a surround sound system. 

0 Kudos
Realdine
Level 9

For me, the video glitches are gone too. I know it's frustrating, i want my atmos sound with my itunes 4k hdr movies and since the atmos update on the apple app the audio dropouts and the video glitches are worst with atmos (dolby digital +). If i change the audio to dolby digital there are few glitches and on stereo they disappear completely (both audio and video). It would be interesting to see if it's the same with the express and it would confirm that it's an audio setting bug with the apple app.

0 Kudos
Texas-Mark
Level 8

Ok, so just for the heck of it I forced the Roku to only use Dolby Digital and that did not totally fix it. It does seem a bit less frequent, but it is so intermittent it's hard to tell. Sometimes it rarely does it, and other times it does it every 30 seconds or so. In any case it only does it with the Apple TV app. Not the end of the wold as I am not a permanent subscriber. I just sign up for a month every so often and binge watch. I suppose I can suck it up and use PCM, just hate to loose the surround sound on movies.  

What may be interesting or not is that prior to all of this, I had an older Yamaha receive that only had optical inputs. So I had to use a HDMI audio extractor on the Roku, and the Apple TV app worked fine with that (DD). However, Netflix, Prime, and others would not work at all unless I used PCM. My understanding is those services only use DD+ and you can''t do that over optical, along with the older receiver not knowing how to decode DD+ anyway. So I updated my receiver to one with HDMI inputs (DD+ capable), and Netflix, Prime, etc all work great, but now the Apple TV app does not properly. Go figure.. 

0 Kudos
Realdine
Level 9

Have you tried the pcm stereo? It's interesting to see that the audio can bug the video signal. The two are linked together but not in the same way depending which app we use.

0 Kudos
Texas-Mark
Level 8

Yes, PCM seems to work ok, or at least not as noticeable because the receiver is not having to re-sync or whatever it does that takes a second or two with DD. Even with PCM there are still video glitches. I don;t think it's a buffering problem, but more like it is dropping a couple of frames or something as it sort of freezes for a split second. The video glitches are not always super noticeable, but that is always when the audio will drop out. Reminds me of the video "stuttering" that used to happen with DirecTV years ago. 

0 Kudos
Realdine
Level 9

For me, it's not buffering, my speed is 60-70 mbps steady on the stick+ and 35-45 on the premiere. The stuttering happens at the same places in the same movies. The audio setting thing help on both roku. The stuttering is worst with atmos. And it's not subtle. I pass from 5-10 sec every 10-15 min on atmos to no stuttering at all on stereo (audio and video). On dolby digital, it happens at the same places in the movie, but just for 1 sec. I hope apple or roku can fix that in futur update. It was great to have the atmos update last june, but if it's unwatchable... 

0 Kudos
Joeyj007
Level 7

Well it’s unacceptable clearly not fit for purpose so I’ve emailed Roku to ask them what they’re going to do about it should be ashamed that fire tv is so much better total **bleep** so angry.

if I buy atmos I want atmos not settling for less why should we we paid for the stick in good faith I want no demand what I paid for a perfect experience!!!!!!!

Realdine
Level 9

I agree, they should do something. Last update (august 7th) didn't change anything.

0 Kudos