Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbreece
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 4K+: Why does the device keep powering itself off?

Jump to solution

I just bought my Roku about a week ago, an Express 4k+. It works fine for the most part except if it is left alone for a long time, then it seems to power itself down and the only way I can bring it back up is to unplug it and plug it back in. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

• I'm using the USB cord it came with plugged into their power adapter.
  • I have the device on an HDMI splitter with my converter box for my antenna.
  • I had a Roku Streaming Stick in the splitter without issue until the device pretty much failed and I replaced it with this one. So I can't see how the HDMI splitter would be the issue. 

If anyone has any idea of what is going on or if I should exchange it...please let me know. Thanks!

Latest model of the Roku Express 4K+ (from Roku.com)Latest model of the Roku Express 4K+ (from Roku.com)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express 4K+: Why does the device keep powering itself off?

Jump to solution

@tbreece-

What Roku software version is your Roku using?  Roku menu path Settings > System > About will show you.

Prior to recently-released Roku version 10.5 there were no provisions for turning Roku devices off.

I have not received the update to Roku 10.5 yet so I don't know some pertinent details. 

Reportedly 10.5 has added a Power menu choice to Roku menu path Settings > System, for at least some Roku models, under which the Roku can be set to power down. 

If you have Roku version 10.5 try going into this option if it's there and see if there is anything there that will keep the Roku from shutting down, or perhaps to change the idle time before it does so.

Please report back with your findings so we'll all know.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@tbreece-

What Roku software version is your Roku using?  Roku menu path Settings > System > About will show you.

Prior to recently-released Roku version 10.5 there were no provisions for turning Roku devices off.

I have not received the update to Roku 10.5 yet so I don't know some pertinent details. 

Reportedly 10.5 has added a Power menu choice to Roku menu path Settings > System, for at least some Roku models, under which the Roku can be set to power down. 

If you have Roku version 10.5 try going into this option if it's there and see if there is anything there that will keep the Roku from shutting down, or perhaps to change the idle time before it does so.

Please report back with your findings so we'll all know.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

tbreece
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@makaiguy Thank you for your reply! I was not aware of this new feature. As you suggested, my Roku is running the latest 10.5.0 firmware. I didn't see where you could change the actual idle time but I did see the option to disable it so I have went ahead and did so. As a super moderator in another community, I know the frustrations of people not reporting back with their findings so after a few days after I've actually confirmed that this is the fix, I will report back with the actual report to see if this has worked. I'm glad to know this information now because if I would've returned this Roku, I would've just ended up with another one with the same problem. So thank you!

tbreece
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have accepted your solution as the answer to my problem. I no longer seem to have any issues from accessing my Roku no matter how long it is inactive. Now, how do I get it out of sleep mode if I chose to select a power saving feature again. Do I just need to press something on the Roku remote to wake it up?

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@tbreece-

Have heard nothing about this yet.  I'll explore it when I finally get Roku 10.5.

bobby123

Jump to solution

why does my roku 4k streaming device keep turning off ? how do I get it to stay on?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@bobby123, look for a "power saving" option under Settings->Power and disable it.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos