Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stan60
Level 7

Roku Express+ 4:3 Standard Update Issue

The latest 5/30/2018 update (Build 4113-51) NO longer allows me to utilize the 4:3 setting on my Roku Express+.  I have a 61" Sony Analog TV & want to view my content "UN-squished"!  It's displaying as if I had it set-up for 16:9 widescreen instead of 4:3 standard.  I did NOT previously have this issue!  I've tried re-setting to 16:9 & restarting unit, then setting back to 4:3 & restarting with NO change.  I even took the time to re-set to "Factory Settings" & setting up the unit all over again including channels--again no luck!  Evidently it retains the updates.  The programs look the same whether I have 4:3 or 16:9 selected--evidently the 4:3 Standard setting has been "compromised" with the latest update.  I wish I could rollback to the previous Build!  I hope there will be a solution SOON!  Before I purchased this Express+, 1 month ago, I was using an old Roku 2  1st generation with rca connections; however, it's TOO "dated" now.  I just plugged it in & was happy to see my programs & videos UN-squashed.  Unfortunately, this Roku 2 is just TOO old.  I was SO happy with my new Express+ since I could again enjoy ALL my content  with the 4:3 Standard setting--UNTIL today!  Currently, my videos & programs are "squished" to fill-up the WHOLE screen.  Usually, a regular HD program will have some black bars at the top & bottom of screen & a wide screen movie will have larger black bars at the top & bottom.  It should look the same as if one watched a HD or widescreen DVD movie with Black Bars at the Top & Bottom when viewed with the old square 4:3 analog widescreen TV.

1st Day of Issue:  5/30/2018 with Update Build 4113-51--No issue prior (1st installed/purchased: 4/25/2018)
Roku Express+ (3910RW)
Serial # YG003V34706
Software Version 8.1.0
Build 4113-51
Device ID:  C537A334706

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated!  TIA  
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku Express+ 4:3 Standard Update Issue

What software version is running on your Roku 2? And what’s the model number?

By the way, the Roku 2, whether model 2720 or 4210, is a third generation device. If it’s slow, it’s probably the 2720, as the 4210 is essentially a Roku 3. Regardless, the software version running on the Roku 2 might help with troubleshooting.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Stan60
Level 7

THANKS for your reply, Basil.  In answer to your question, it's a model 2720X (refurbished).  The discussion regarding my old Roku 2 has NO relevance since my issue is with the Roku Express+ that I purchased over four weeks ago.  As I stated I had NO issues with the Roku Express+ 4:3 Standard setting during the first four-five weeks of use UNTIL the latest "update"!  I already detailed the troubleshooting steps I took until posting this thread.  My mistake was installing the update without waiting for feedback later.  I should have known better.  Not that it matters but I also own a Roku 3 that's used on a smaller HD TV in my bedroom.  So, I'm not new to the "Roku World".

Again, any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

I’m sure someone else will be along  to help you soon.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
rkm
Level 7

Stan,

I'm experiencing the exact same issue with the latest update (Express+, Sony analog TV). I reported it to Roku Support on Twitter and they told me that they were "going to escalate your note to our engineering team for review." I also passed along the link to this thread so they could see that I wasn't the only one experiencing this issue. 

So, at a minimum they are aware of the issue. Whether they come up with a solution soon is another question altogether.
0 Kudos
Stan60
Level 7

I figured that I could not be the only one with this issue--THANKS for posting your issue & getting "on board"!   8-)
0 Kudos
adolfojp
Level 7

I'm having the same problem on a Roku 1 (2710X). My Roku is now useless.
0 Kudos
Stan60
Level 7

Not surprising since the Express+, more or less, replaced the Roku 1 as unit marketed for those that still need a rca cable & 4:3 capable streamer for older sets--especially analog 4:3 TVs.
0 Kudos