Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firstgentrekki1
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Distorted Sound During Playback - Restart Helps Temporarily

I just bought a Roku Express to replace a Roku XD that no longer supported Hulu. I gave away the Roku XD and then discovered the noise distortion problem in the Roku Express. A reboot seems to solve it, so I don't understand why Roku hasn't pushed out a software update to fix this obviously fixable problem. Very annoying. I was happy with the Roku XD for 7 years and I could have probably gotten another seven of years of use out of it.

Mike77
Reel Rookie

Changing the sound setting by pressing the star (*) button on the remote is another temporary fix that usually works. Press the * button and change sound setting from "leveling" to night (or day) or the reverse depending upon how it is currently set will fix the distorted sound until the next day or so then you may have to do it again. Sometimes mine will work for a week or so without changing, then it starts again and I follow the steps again. It is faster and easier than restarting the Roku. BTW, mine is on the Roku Ultra, never had the XD or Express models.
0 Kudos
Kap1998

I have a Roku Ultra and encountered this issue today. I did the system restart and you indicated and then it sounded fine. This is obviously a thing that needs a solution.

0 Kudos
smithbry

Re: ROKU ULTRA Distorted Sound

Thanks - that worked.

0 Kudos
MWM

Exactly the same situation for me: Roku Express (purchased Oct 2020), old Olivia TV (works fine otherwise), HDMI cable

Weird buzzing alien voices at start.  I unplug Roku power, plug back in and then sound is fine.

Roku folks: any advice?

0 Kudos
soda-pop
Reel Rookie

Re: ROKU express Sound

I just replaced my first Roku Express because it was circling the drain most of the time (waiting for sync) and was especially bad for playing recordings.   No sync problems with new system thankfully, but when I turn the system on there is no sound.  With the new system, most times I have to 'restart system' after turning on to get sound. It's very annoying.  Maybe it would be a good thing to place a restart button on the remote! I have repeated all recommendations of cable changes (short cables) and changing ports several times and nothing makes it better but taking the time to restart system. Very disappointed with Roku and wish I had switched to Firestick and may do just that soon unless there is a better solution. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
beckyn

I have bought a few roku sticks and my sound get distorted and sometime i cant hear it and other times it just get super loud!  I have an a LG tv and its less then a year old.

0 Kudos
beckyn

I have tried all these things and doesn't help.  I usually change the channel and then it sounds fine. But it happens on different channels not always the same one,  but it does this once or twice every day.  Its the third roku stick I have bought and its dont it on everyone.

0 Kudos
Chris11
Channel Surfer

Roku evidently cannot figure out how to solve this continuing problem or they would have fixed it years ago when it first was being reported to them and mentioned in these and other forums. No matter what you do it will come back. Both of mine sit in a desk drawer gathering dust and I use Amazon Fire TV 4K Sticks in the 2 bedrooms with TV's and NVIDIA Shield Android TV Pro 4K for streaming or watching anything that Roku or Amazon have and much more in the family room and another one in the game and rec room for gaming, streaming and more. The NVidia Shield costs $150 to $200 and is rarely on sale. It is more complicated and there is a learning curve because it is like nothing else, but by far the best. Yes the FireStick and Roku devices are $100 to $150 cheaper but you make that up in savings after 1 month over cable or satellite, and it works. Roku and Fire are cheap because they are simple and have issues with some providers like Roku and others. The Shield also has game controllers for gaming or streaming and can now be used with PCs and laptops that have NVidia video cards which my PC does.

0 Kudos
whomeqqqq
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Express Distorted Sound. Have to restart every time I use

happens to me sometimes

i just right arrow to next channel and when the blue bar shows up 

left arrow back to the channel i was watching and the problem is gone

might be related to roku being hot but no warning light or message on screen

or could be a software bug 

0 Kudos