Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ROKU ULTRA Distorted Sound

@RokuTannerD  - Please, this is a poor response.  I understand you're trying to troubleshoot, but from reading the various forums (both on the Roku community and Reddit) this has been going on for many MONTHS and possibly a year.  I am a long time user and lover of Roku (and shareholder) and every player and RokuTV I have bought up until now has been great.  (Have purchased 7 for me and family).  The latest Ultra is a dud.  This is CLEARLY a firmware problem and you guys need to put energy into finding and fixing the root cause.  For me, it happens on EVERY streaming channel (now) including at a minimum:  Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Youtube TV and Plex.  Does not happen on my Roku 3 or my TCL Roku TV on any streaming channel.  I can swap my Roku 3 for my Ultra on the exact same TV + Soundbar + HDMI cable and the problem does not occur - ever.  I have tried every combination of sound and HDMI setup I can find in the Roku Ultra settings and none of them have a lasting effect.  Making a sound setting modification in a single streaming channel is a waste of time since the problem occurs on all services.  It's your firmware.  You need to fix it - and soon - or you risk alienating your formerly loyal user community.  I for one bought mine on Amazon a month ago and I am seriously considering returning it and getting the latest FireTV. That would be a shame after years of great Roku service. How about this for your next post: "We at Roku acknowledge this problem and are working hard to isolate the root cause and fix it. For now the best work around is...."

Jfraichge

I have been having the same issue, where I had to unplug the power cable to get the sound not be distorted (unplugging and switching the HDMI cable never did anything). But when it happened again just now, I turned the Volume Mode to off that actually did fix my issue, so thanks @RokuTannerD!

0 Kudos

The only way I've found to correct the sound problem is to unplug the power and HDMI cables, then reconnect both. It's a ROKU PROBLEM, NOT A TV OF ANY MAKE OR MODEL PROBLEM. Mine does this several times a week. Roku will not address or admit they have a problem 

LauraCapa
Channel Surfer

Since the recent system update, the audio is horrible. I thought it was the TV, but with the antenna the audio is great. So it is the Roku Streaming Stick. I tried all the troubleshooting suggested by Roku, but nothing is working and honestly I would prefer not to have to buy a new one. Is there anything else I could try? It is highly annoying. I wonder if other streaming services are doing the same... maybe I should just change service and go with Apple Tv or something similar. 

Laura

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@LauraCapa 

Thanks for the note.

Are you having audio issues on all of the channels or specific channels? What troubleshooting steps have you tried already?

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LauraCapa
Channel Surfer

Re: ROKU Streaming Stick Distorted Sound

I have the same problem in all channels and all streaming. I did what your colleague has suggested (audio in auto, volume setting disable). No improvement. It is very annoying, especially in these days of stay at home. 

TomalBasav

I have a Roku and a Song BluEsy player w/apps on the same television.  Just today, trying to watch Prime Video on the Roku yields choppy audio (which so sucks for movie soundtracks).  Switching over to the Sony and watching the same content on the same platform was just fine.  Be straight up with us; are you intentionally operating at diminished quality due to the increased demand for bandwidth during this pandemic with so many folk having to telework?     

0 Kudos
LauraCapa
Channel Surfer

I actually have this problem since the last update that Roku did of its system. I'd appreciate to have a straight answer that solve the problem or to get (for free) a replacement for the stick. 

0 Kudos
LoveOurGadgets
Reel Rookie

This is now a loooong time problem.  My Roku Ultra regularly has this issue.  I did all that stuff they mention (and more cause I thought it was my TV, till we plugged in a different TV and same problem).  The only thing that has worked so far is a system restart.  It works till it happens again and then repeat. ROKU, WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO REPEATEDLY DO THIS TO FIX THE ULTRA ROKU!!! Find a permanent solution.

Home > Settings > System > System restart

LauraCapa
Channel Surfer

System Restart didn't work for me, nothing is working. I want Roku to replace for free my #RokuStreamingStick as this is the problem in my case. I tried EVERYTHING Roku said, I tried restarting... nothing works. 

0 Kudos