Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

Thanks for the update. This thread is 3 months old and there are many users who have shown support for the DD+ to DD conversion feature to be added.

Maybe others who want it as well can chime in so instead of it just being a consideration it gets added to the list of things Roku is actually working on.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

Need this.

I can't watch anything on Roku right now because the lip sync issue is that dang serious. People over at AVSForums are saying the same thing too.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

I purchased one Jan 23rd because they said DD thru optical . Took it back the next day , why put an optical out without a decoder chip ? They have been "looking into it" since the Roku 2 . Not everyone has a 7.1 hdmi setup . The Vizio 5.1 Wireless surround I have is not that old & doesn't use hdmi . Heck ,their newest 5.1 uses hdmi and still doesn't support DD+ ! I tried a audio splitter on my Roku 2 but it didn't support DD+ step-down . Newegg had some before but not anymore . I'm going to keep watching to see if they get any more in . I can use either my Roku 2 XS or XD in the living room then . Put the money I got back to better use , a 4k monitor ... wife not happy about it , she sais to spend it on her !
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

Attention buyers: I have a 1st gen Amazon FireTV (not the stick) with Alexa voice remote that has an optical audio out and I have confirmed that both Netflix and Amazon Prime pass plain DD 5.1 through the optical cable to my older receiver. Private message me if you are interested or email bjx25@hotmail.com - I bought this model to test and it is barely used. I'm just going to keep my Roku 4 and buy a new receiver since I have a 4K TV and I have no idea when/if Roku is going to make a firmware update to downconvert DD+ to DD through the optical audio output.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

Looks like Amazon did something right with their Fire TV Gen 2 ...


They are allowing forced 5.1 instead of DD+ ....


http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =201497590


... Cmon, Roku, let us do this too!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

"africanlivedit" wrote:
Looks like Amazon did something right with their Fire TV Gen 2 ...


They are allowing forced 5.1 instead of DD+ ....


http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =201497590


True, but only Gen 1 which is 1080p has the Optical TOSLINK output with plain DD 5.1. Gen 2 which is 4K only has an HDMI output.

I want 4K and an Optical Audio output that can transcode DD+ to DD !!! Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

"4K-Jay" wrote:
True, but only Gen 1 which is 1080p has the Optical TOSLINK output with plain DD 5.1. Gen 2 which is 4K only has an HDMI output.

I want 4K and an Optical Audio output that can transcode DD+ to DD !!! Smiley Happy


Why? Is it for older compatibility or is there some other reason?
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

I just bought a Roku 4. Although I am very pleased with the Video and streaming performance, I ran into the same audio problems listed in this discussion thread. So, I am adding my voice to others asking for the ability to output DD from DD+ streams via both HDMI and s/pdif. I naively assumed that the presence of the s/pdif connection meant that DD digital audio would be handled correctly, especially on major streaming sites including Netflix and Amazon.

By the way, HBO Go works correctly. I get 5.1 via s/pdif on my old receiver. I suppose they stream in DD rather than DD+.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

I have been reading the posts and as I have not hooked up my Roku 4 to my Yamaha amplifier, I am trying to understand the issue.

Is it that the channels are outputting Dolby Digital + on their streams and the optical output of the Roku 4 passes only this signal and if you are using an older receiver without the DD+ decoder, you will hear NO audio, even if your receiver will decode DD. I have an older Yamaha mid/high end-range THX certified 7.1 amplifier that decodes DD and DD Prologic 3.

This amp does not have HDMI inputs.

What will I experience when I attach the optical output of the Roku to one of the optical inputs of this older, but still very nice and clean amp.

Thx
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

"Rcosta" wrote:
I have been reading the posts and as I have not hooked up my Roku 4 to my Yamaha amplifier, I am trying to understand the issue.

Is it that the channels are outputting Dolby Digital + on their streams and the optical output of the Roku 4 passes only this signal and if you are using an older receiver without the DD+ decoder, you will hear NO audio, even if your receiver will decode DD. I have an older Yamaha mid/high end-range THX certified 7.1 amplifier that decodes DD and DD Prologic 3.

This amp does not have HDMI inputs.

What will I experience when I attach the optical output of the Roku to one of the optical inputs of this older, but still very nice and clean amp.

Thx


Correct, if your Receiver does not decode DD+ over optical, then you won't get sound when streaming a DD+ title.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos