Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

Let me go beyond "I want this" and say " you need to do this."

I am perfectly happy with my old AVR and bought an optical extractor box. It worked fine with sources that used classic DD5.1 not DD+. So I joined Amazon, not Netflix, and life was good (for a while). Now Amazon is mostly DD+ too. However, I have found my Tivo keeps adding new streaming sources, and transcodes, downconverts, extracts (whatever you experts want to call it, it is the feature not the semantics) DD5.1 from DD+, optically. In my streaming world, my Roku 2 XS is becoming increasingly irrelevant when I have a choice of using the Tivo or Roku for a particular streaming source. The Roku is being relegated to inherently stereo sources.

Very simply, if you did it, it would likely be a good reason to upgrade to a Roku 4. If you don't do it, well, I won't be fooled again. It is an important question to me, and the first I'll ask about any potential new streaming box to replace my existing Roku. The choice is a difference of at most a few tens of dollars in the cost of a streaming box vs several hundred to replace a perfectly satisfactory AVR without HDMI inputs for a new one with HDMI and DD+.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I just wanted to add my vote for this feature.

I just received a new Roku 4 as a Christmas gift which I now need to return since it doesn't properly work with my legacy, non DD+ capable, receiver. This was my first time using a Roku device and I was impressed with the interface and speed compared to the streaming apps in my Sony Blu-Ray player but the inability to get surround sound is a show stopper for me.

I realize the number of people this affects is probably very small and might not be worth the resources required to fix it but if this feature is ever supported I'd love to jump back on the Roku bandwagon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"er824" wrote:
I just wanted to add my vote for this feature.

I just received a new Roku 4 as a Christmas gift which I now need to return since it doesn't properly work with my legacy, non DD+ capable, receiver.

I'm in a similar boat. I asked for a Roku 4 to replace my barely 6 month old Roku 3, because I was SURE that with the addition of an optical out, I would get 5.1 to my old Onkyo receiver. It never occurred to me that ROKU would add an optical out that can't pass DD. Silly me. I either need to return it & wait for a possible update, keep it & take my chances on vaporware, or replace an otherwise very nice (albeit 10 years old) receiver.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I also expected regular DD to work through optical and HDMI and was disappointed. I can get no sense of whether this will come to pass, so I'm just going to return it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

if the stream has a regular DD audio stream or DTS audio stream, those will be sent through the hdmi port and the optical port, if the roku-4 detects that the device can handle those codecs, or if DD/DTS has been selected in the spdif digital audio out selection.
rokudale
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Dale -when I managed to find a DD stream the Roku correctly passed it. Unfortunately, that seems to be rare at least with the content providers I use. Amazon seemed to be using DD+ exclusively, VUDU seemed to be a mix with newer stuff being DD+ and older stuff being DD. I don't understand if the fault lies with the content providers or the Roku, but in the end I consistently get 5.1 from all providers with my $70 Sony blu-ray player. While the search capabilities and speed of the ROKU interface is certainly inviting they aren't compelling enough for me to upgrade my AVR.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"er824" wrote:
Dale -when I managed to find a DD stream the Roku correctly passed it. Unfortunately, that seems to be rare at least with the content providers I use. Amazon seemed to be using DD+ exclusively, VUDU seemed to be a mix with newer stuff being DD+ and older stuff being DD. I don't understand if the fault lies with the content providers or the Roku, but in the end I consistently get 5.1 from all providers with my $70 Sony blu-ray player. While the search capabilities and speed of the ROKU interface is certainly inviting they aren't compelling enough for me to upgrade my AVR.

I receive 5.1 on Netflix over HDMI on my FTV1 (2014 Model). With the Roku 4 it's a failed mission, and I am talking about the same AVR.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

DD+ to DD transcoding, Yes, Please!

It is silly for Roku to think people are going to replace older AVR just to get the same 5.1 sound they get now, not when there are other similarly priced streaming devices that do the transcoding. Dolby ATMOS may be worth the eventual upgrade, but just keeping the existing 5.1 sound is not.

Yes, this may be Netflix/Amazon's fault, but it is Roku's product that is going to take the hit.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I'm genuinely curious about this since it seems like so many people want this option.

About 9 years ago I bought a PS3 and an inexpensive Onkyo home theater receiver for about $280. I was always into Dolby Digital so I was happy to have the new version of Dolby (and DTS). I actually forget if it was DD+ or DD True HD, it was so long ago. But I remember being happy because the receiver had a sign on the display which told me that the surround sound was working properly, which I thought was cool.

Unfortunately I had to give up the home theater system since I moved into a condo in which the downstairs neighbor could hear way too much.

Anyway, it just seems odd that in almost a decade there are so many people who want legacy surround sound, especially because I remember the receivers not being that expensive. I'm also curious why people want the expensive 4K Roku to use with the old surround sound. It seems like if you were into the new 4K spec and the expensive TV that you would also be into the newest surround sound.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It's not that mysterious. I bought a Roku 4 for its optical out (since the literature said it supported DD via Optical), not 4K capability. I bought it because I spent a lot of money on a very nice Marantz receiver that I'm very happy with (though it doesn't do DD+). I cant afford to replace such an expensive receiver (that works perfectly well) and I certainly don't WANT to replace it with a cheaper, inferior one. I want Roku to make good on its misleading promise of DD over Optical for Netflix and Amazon (arguably the most used services on their device).
0 Kudos