Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on R4

"atc98092" wrote:
"Rcosta" wrote:
@RokuDale,@C. Shawn Smith,

As I am a Roku 4 owner, as I do not have a list of the improvements of the Ultra over the Roku4. If this is a feature over the Roku4, then this is a feature set that will make the decision to upgrade to a Ultra better to justify. Are there any more improvements over the Roku 4 that can be posted here? I know that the Ultra runs cooler than the Roku4 and does not have a fan. I did not know that the Ultra had DD+ to DD trancoding capability. Can you post a feature matrix to do a comparison against the Roku 4?

The 4 does 4K, but the Ultra does 4K HDR. This is a significant difference for many people. 

4K HDR is only good if you have an 4K HDR capable TV. My concern is with the sound, as I do not have a receiver that will decode DD+. If the source is DD+ and it can transcode DD, then I am good to go.
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

"Rcosta" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"Rcosta" wrote:

As I am a Roku 4 owner, as I do not have a list of the improvements of the Ultra over the Roku4. If this is a feature over the Roku4, then this is a feature set that will make the decision to upgrade to a Ultra better to justify. Are there any more improvements over the Roku 4 that can be posted here? I know that the Ultra runs cooler than the Roku4 and does not have a fan. I did not know that the Ultra had DD+ to DD trancoding capability. Can you post a feature matrix to do a comparison against the Roku 4?

The 4 does 4K, but the Ultra does 4K HDR. This is a significant difference for many people. 

4K HDR is only good if you have an 4K HDR capable TV. My concern is with the sound, as I do not have a receiver that will decode DD+. If the source is DD+ and it can transcode DD, then I am good to go.

Yep, the Ultra will do that.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"Rcosta" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"Rcosta" wrote:

initially, the reason I picked up a Roku Ultra was for the transcoding from DD+ to DD. The ARC on my TV doesn't transmit DD+, so the transcoding to DD sold me on it. 
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2019 Ultra--2016 Ultra

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

"4K-Jay" wrote:
"AnClar" wrote:
OK...this is my final post on this topic unless Roku decides to implement transcoding.  I'm not here to bash or troll anyone...just my experience.  Installed the Gen 1 Fire TV today, and it is working as expected.  I'm now getting DD 5.1 over optical on all streams that advertise 5.1.  So this is a viable option for anyone who, like me, has an older but serviceable a/v receiver that cannot process DD+ streams and cannot transcode.  As ever, VMMV.   Smiley Very Happy   If Roku ever makes a positive decision on this topic I'm open to re-evaluating but for now, I have a solution...sorry it couldn't be Roku.

Yep, I just did the same thing. Found a Gen 1 Amazon FireTV on eBay and even though it doesn't have 4K at least I can get my Dolby Digital 5.1 back. My Roku 4 is going on eBay next week.  I loved my Roku 3 and hoped Roku would pay for the Dolby license and put out a firmware update for the transcoding on Roku 4, but  apparently those of us who engage on these forums and are major influencers for this type of product don't matter. I won't be recommending Roku devices to any more of my friends/family and that basically adds up to a missed opportunity of about 20 additional customers over the next 2 years.  Well done Roku, I'm back on the Amazon FireTV bandwagon.

I fully agree with you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Wow. So many roadblocks with this streaming stuff.
I am assuming hbo now now sends 5.1 on some material at least and on some devices roku being one despite the 6 different versions reporting at least some problems. Take GOT, I have a roku stick version 3? After much reading, say 20+ pages i am moderately sure i am one of the lucky participants in the 5.1 gamble,but wouldnt you know, my samsung won't pass it back thru optical to my receiver which is not hdmi due to what I guess is a copyright issue but from what I hear sony tvs will so how can it be a copyright issue ? Maybe samsung didnt pay dolby enough money. Im grasping at straws here. Have things changed again or am I misinformed despite my effort and they have decided to use dd+ in which case I would be out of luck without an hdmi receiver anyway. One more reason most sane people that dont choose to fall in line will hopefully just admit dolby pro logic is the only viable sound codec guaranteed not to give you gray hair and cost you more money every time a new device or another elusive HD codec rolls out.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I no longer use my original avr for it only used a optical port for dolby digital and bought one that handled dolby digital Plus. This was 7 years ago and it cost just over $200 . So I don't see the cost factor as a detriment in upgradimg an avr. Secondly the avr that had optical audio out didn't handle hdmi. So upgrading allowed the newer audio format and allowed me to use hd out from my roku. I felt upgrading the avr back then worthwhile. To each his own though. I do admit when I rip blu rays and paly back by plex I can't use the improved dolby digital hd and the better dts format that comes with a blu ray disc. I can pass dolby digital plus and the original dts. Not that I can hear the difference anyway.
Roku 2xs (3100x), Roku Express (3900x) ,Roku Ultra (4660RW) .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 100/100, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

"JohnS-MI" wrote:
This feature would be a reason to upgrade my Roku 2 XS to a Roku 4.  I know there are other reasons,but I don't have a 4k TV, I do have a dumb, old receiver, which I still like.

Biggest reason to upgrade is speed. It's like your still using a 386 computer compare dto one using an I-7 processor It's way faster with my ultra then my old xs. Plus some channels don't even work properly with the older player. So there are other reasons besides audio features to upgrade your old box. Heck my express is way better then the xs.. 
Roku 2xs (3100x), Roku Express (3900x) ,Roku Ultra (4660RW) .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 100/100, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Interesting. I am assuming this will be an option, meaning we can choose among stereo, Dolby digital or Dolby digital plus. Great idea. I wouldn't think something that small would hinder bandwidth or degrade anything else.
But if you can't leave DD+ as a choice don't do it as it really does sound great.
This would save my ass because for tv, nothing is Dolby digital plus so my necessary receiver codec was only necessary for Netflix and Amazon. However, not everyone can afford a new receiver every time Dolby finds a new codec, and most of us have more than one system. What an opportunity for Roku to embrace change in the form of fuctionality, practicality and backwards compatibility all in one field swoop. Now if we can get cable to smarten up.Until we agree on a good standard like DD+ everyone is still just opting for good old 2.0 stereo on our older systems because of all the confusion and lack of options.
What format is being broadcast and on which system will I watch what show from which service.
0 Kudos