Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heyitsrick
Level 9

Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on R4

This could be a game changer for many with legacy AVRs that don't have Dolby Digital Plus decoding. Roku has apparently seen enough comments in the forum that demonstrate serious interest in getting standard Dolby Digital over the Optical Out on the new Roku 4 that they are considering enabling this feature. I thought this important enough to put in its own thread because it was buried in a much longer thread.

Here's the quote from RokuDale (engineer at Roku) from the other thread:

We appreciate your feedback.

The DD+ to DD transcode is a feature we are considering for the Roku-4 but don't have a specific update to share at this time. The Roku-4 hardware will not need to change to add the DD+ to DD transcode capability.

Dolby Digital(DD) and DTS audio streams are already supported via pass-thru to both the HDMI and optical connector.

DD+ is also supported via pass-thru to HDMI, and in some cases it can be sent over the SPDIF optical connector to a receiver that is able to accept the DD+ stream.

RokuDale
0 Kudos
107 Replies
knuckle
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

I agree Rick, it would certainly benefit many were Roku to enable this feature a $129 Roku vs replacing an expensive AVR .Truthfully though I believe that audiophiles are some what taken advantage of by manufacturers ... some of the prices on quality AVR equipment seem extremely high for the actual tech.
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
DJG
Level 7

I'd love to see this.
0 Kudos
BillC225
Level 7

I would also like to have 5.1 DD+ to 5.1 DD transcoding implemented on the Roku 4 so that I could use the Optical Audio port to provide 5.1 sound to my 5.1 DD only AVR.

It should be mentioned that by adding a 5.1 DD+ to 5.1 DD transcode capability to the Roku 4 the DD bitstream created from the DD+ bitstream would be available on the HDMI output as well.
0 Kudos
4K-Jay
Level 7

Creating a firmware update to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to plain Dolby Digital would not only validate Roku's decision to include the optical port in the first place, but also create a fantastic differentiation feature that would further set the Roku-4 apart from its competitors. I also requested this feature in the following thread:

Feature Requests - 4th Quarter 2015
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89600&p=508529
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

"4K-Jay" wrote:
Creating a firmware update to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to plain Dolby Digital would not only validate Roku's decision to include the optical port in the first place, but also create a fantastic differentiation feature that would further set the Roku-4 apart from its competitors. I also requested this feature in the following thread:

Feature Requests - 4th Quarter 2015
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89600&p=508529

A user asked for this on the feature request thread page before you, lol. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89600&start=30#p507244 That makes you a "me too!" person. (kidding)

Seems like it's more of a question of when and not if, given what RokuDale said. That's not the type of thing you mention without it already being in the pipeline.

And to your other points, I totally agree. Amazon has ditched optical for its V2 Fire TV and has lost that advantage. With this feature enabled - and assuming Roku sorts out the HDCP and 10-bit audio issues - they will have a bridge to both the future and the past in the Roku 4. That makes it a truly compelling box for many.
0 Kudos
4K-Jay
Level 7

Proud to be a "me too" person. Smiley Happy The more of us that ask for this the more likely it will be realized.
0 Kudos
4K-Jay
Level 7

FYI - Although Amazon Fire TV does not have optical audio output, they just confirmed that they will deliver a software update on 11/30 that will deliver plain DD/DTS over HDMI for older audio receivers. I hope the Roku-4 firmware update beats them to the punch and scores big due to the included optical audio port!
0 Kudos
fuzzy
Level 7

will buy after the DD update!!!
sony xbr65x850c tv, TX-RZ810 ONKYO rec., HDMI to REC., roku ultra and roku3 both wired,technicolor c2000t modem, 20 mbs dsl
0 Kudos
jdurr
Level 7

Same here! Please enable DD HDMI/optical output
0 Kudos