Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

Hi, *please read Roku support*, Roku is ignoring millions of users with Legacy Receivers with standard Dolby Digital 5.1 decoders,this issue affects all current Rokus, not just the Roku 4.

I am using a Roku 2 2015 model with a HDMI to Optical audio converter and have found that Netflix, Hulu,Amazon Prime, Vudu,etc all sound as stereo with my legacy Yamaha Receiver since such apps are using Dolby Digital Plus signals.

Technical issue: If Dolby Digital Plus is selected on the Roku menu,no audio is heard since Receiver does not read DD Plus format, and if Dolby Digital 5.1 is selected on the menu, audio is heard as stereo, since apps no longer use standard DD 5.1 format.

Only HBO Go is streaming (for now) with standard DD 5.1.

I am really disappointed with Roku since Fire TV and Apple TV boxes (older model and newest model (with an additional hdmi/optical converter), still work fine with such apps with legacy receivers, not sure if this is for a Dolby License that Roku decided not to pay or what, but the issue is really affecting ALL the Roku community with Legacy Receivers.

Please fix the issue Roku Support! Please give us an ETA for the solution. Will open another thread if its ok since issue affects all current Rokus.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"AnClar" wrote:
OK...this is my final post on this topic unless Roku decides to implement transcoding. I'm not here to bash or troll anyone...just my experience. Installed the Gen 1 Fire TV today, and it is working as expected. I'm now getting DD 5.1 over optical on all streams that advertise 5.1. So this is a viable option for anyone who, like me, has an older but serviceable a/v receiver that cannot process DD+ streams and cannot transcode. As ever, VMMV. Smiley Very Happy If Roku ever makes a positive decision on this topic I'm open to re-evaluating but for now, I have a solution...sorry it couldn't be Roku.

Yep, I just did the same thing. Found a Gen 1 Amazon FireTV on eBay and even though it doesn't have 4K at least I can get my Dolby Digital 5.1 back. My Roku 4 is going on eBay next week. I loved my Roku 3 and hoped Roku would pay for the Dolby license and put out a firmware update for the transcoding on Roku 4, but apparently those of us who engage on these forums and are major influencers for this type of product don't matter. I won't be recommending Roku devices to any more of my friends/family and that basically adds up to a missed opportunity of about 20 additional customers over the next 2 years. Well done Roku, I'm back on the Amazon FireTV bandwagon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes, I also have given up on Roku and went back to my Sony Bluray player in one room and a FireTv in another for the DD5.1 sound. The Roku 4 is a crippled device. I still have it, but it is no longer connected. I will NEVER buy another Roku product again, I feel I have been cheated. It's a shame, I really like the interface, and the Roku seemed to have slightly better picture quality, but 5.1 sound is not an option, it is a requirement.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on R4

Is there anyone at Roku who can claim whether this DD+ -> DD conversion capability is on the roadmap for a future update?  If not, I'll return my Roku 4.   I already shelled out a premium for the "better" roku to avoid having to buy a newer receiver with HDMI inputs.   It turns out, Netflix only offers 5.1 if used with DD+ hardware, so i'm stuck either waiting until Roku 4 enables DD+ -> DD conversion, or else return it and use the same dollars towards a DD+ receiver  with my older Roku. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"hamx0r" wrote:
Is there anyone at Roku who can claim whether this DD+ -> DD conversion capability is on the roadmap for a future update?  If not, I'll return my Roku 4.   I already shelled out a premium for the "better" roku to avoid having to buy a newer receiver with HDMI inputs.   It turns out, Netflix only offers 5.1 if used with DD+ hardware, so i'm stuck either waiting until Roku 4 enables DD+ -> DD conversion, or else return it and use the same dollars towards a DD+ receiver  with my older Roku. 

I would return it anyways and get the Roku Ultra (the replacement for Roku 4), which has been advertised to have this feature. No official word on older devices getting this feature.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Looks like this is never going to happen on the Roku 4, since RokuShawn made the official announcement in another thread today:

Sequoyah wrote: Any further word on the firmware/software update to allow for conversion of DD+ to DD over optical output (on the Roku 4)?

We appreciate the feedback from customers. We determined that it would be best to provide Dolby Digital™ Plus on new hardware and therefore are offering it on the new Roku Ultra.  C. Shawn Smith

Official No Go on Roku 4 DD+ Transcoding
0 Kudos
Level 7

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
Looks like this is never going to happen on the Roku 4, since RokuShawn made the official announcement in another thread today:

Sequoyah wrote: Any further word on the firmware/software update to allow for conversion of DD+ to DD over optical output (on the Roku 4)?

We appreciate the feedback from customers. We determined that it would be best to provide Dolby Digital™ Plus on new hardware and therefore are offering it on the new Roku Ultra.  C. Shawn Smith

Official No Go on Roku 4 DD+ Transcoding

Actually, he didn't completely answer my question as to whether there was going to be a firmware/software update for this issue. He merely stated what we already know, that the new boxes support DD+. Sigh..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I'll add the part to make it clear.
There will be no software update to the Roku-4 that will enable the DD+ to DD transcode. We know this was a desirable feature but as Shawn said, it was decided it would be better to include it, along with other improvements in the Ultra.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@RokuDale,@C. Shawn Smith,

As I am a Roku 4 owner, as I do not have a list of the improvements of the Ultra over the Roku4. If this is a feature over the Roku4, then this is a feature set that will make the decision to upgrade to a Ultra better to justify. Are there any more improvements over the Roku 4 that can be posted here? I know that the Ultra runs cooler than the Roku4 and does not have a fan. I did not know that the Ultra had DD+ to DD trancoding capability. Can you post a feature matrix to do a comparison against the Roku 4?

Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

"Rcosta" wrote:
@RokuDale,@C. Shawn Smith,

As I am a Roku 4 owner, as I do not have a list of the improvements of the Ultra over the Roku4. If this is a feature over the Roku4, then this is a feature set that will make the decision to upgrade to a Ultra better to justify. Are there any more improvements over the Roku 4 that can be posted here? I know that the Ultra runs cooler than the Roku4 and does not have a fan. I did not know that the Ultra had DD+ to DD trancoding capability. Can you post a feature matrix to do a comparison against the Roku 4?

The 4 does 4K, but the Ultra does 4K HDR. This is a significant difference for many people. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos