Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jhoglesr
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

I want Optical Audio output that can convert DD+ to DD. Please do this so I can buy a Roku 4. I am currently using an Amazon Fire Tv box which I purchased after returning a Roku 3 because the Roku didn't work with my receiver. The Fire Tv only searches Amazon content so something I could watch for free on Netflix doesn't show in the search making it useless. Have Rokus on all my other Tvs. Your earlier XR? unit which had an optic coupler worked fine. I wish you would have kept the optic coupler on all your units. Please enable DD over Toslink so I can lose the Amazon Fire.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
theuser86
Level 7

"jhoglesr" wrote:
I want Optical Audio output that can convert DD+ to DD. Please do this so I can buy a Roku 4. I am currently using an Amazon Fire Tv box which I purchased after returning a Roku 3 because the Roku didn't work with my receiver. The Fire Tv only searches Amazon content so something I could watch for free on Netflix doesn't show in the search making it useless. Have Rokus on all my other Tvs. Your earlier XR? unit which had an optic coupler worked fine. I wish you would have kept the optic coupler on all your units. Please enable DD over Toslink so I can lose the Amazon Fire.

To add to this, with the new Fire OS 5 released to both the 1st gen Fire TV box and the 2nd gen Fire TV box, there is now the ability to send DD over both the HDMI output and Optical output where the DD+ is converted to DD before transmission over either HDMI or optical. Very convenient for those who have AVRs that do not decode DD+.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
AnClar
Level 7

It's now been about 4 months since this topic was first broached, and Roku said that they were "considering it". Still not a peep out of Roku about how the "consideration" is going. I'm a patient sort, having been in the IT industry for many years. I know what goes into adding features to a product, but this is getting a bit out there, even for me. There are competing products currently on the market that that already have transcoding (Fire TV), and from the very beginning of the discussion Roku has said that DD+ > DD transcoding is doable via a FW update for the R4. As others have mentioned, the major factor is probably a licensing/cost issue between Roku and Dolby Labs. Regardless, Roku really should try to move the process along to resolution and/or at least give us a clue about what the possibility of DD+ > DD transcoding actually happening is. There are many of us with R4s who bought the device when we saw it had an optical output, thinking that we'd be able to stream DD 5.1 to our older AVRs. Actually we can stream DD over optical, just not DD+, which is what most streaming providers use these days. C'mon Roku...we're waiting...
Roku Ultra, Roku 4
Internet:1gig/40 Time Warner Spectrum Gigabit (DOCSIS 3.1)
Cbl Modem:Technicolor TC4400
Router:Asus RT-AC5300
0 Kudos
Highlighted
_FailSafe
Level 7

Even if there is a licensing/cost involved with Dolby Labs, Roku should consider it an investment into their frustrated customer base to go ahead and get this feature added (at their expense). It's bad enough that most of us who invested in Roku 4 units have basically been beta testing (or alpha testing, in some cases) for Roku, whether we like it or not. We are not getting reimbursed for time and frustration in dealing with the many outstanding issues. I think it would go a long way for Roku in the PR realm to get this feature completed at no additional cost to its users.

Just my $0.02 on the topic.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
BLUE_SKIES
Level 7

"AnClar" wrote:
It's now been about 4 months since this topic was first broached, and Roku said that they were "considering it". Still not a peep out of Roku about how the "consideration" is going. I'm a patient sort, having been in the IT industry for many years. I know what goes into adding features to a product, but this is getting a bit out there, even for me. There are competing products currently on the market that that already have transcoding (Fire TV), and from the very beginning of the discussion Roku has said that DD+ > DD transcoding is doable via a FW update for the R4. As others have mentioned, the major factor is probably a licensing/cost issue between Roku and Dolby Labs. Regardless, Roku really should try to move the process along to resolution and/or at least give us a clue about what the possibility of DD+ > DD transcoding actually happening is. There are many of us with R4s who bought the device when we saw it had an optical output, thinking that we'd be able to stream DD 5.1 to our older AVRs. Actually we can stream DD over optical, just not DD+, which is what most streaming providers use these days. C'mon Roku...we're waiting...

You are so right. That's why my two R4s are rarely used. GIVE US a answer.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
WhiteBeard
Level 7

"AnClar" wrote:
As others have mentioned, the major factor is probably a licensing/cost issue between Roku and Dolby Labs. Regardless, Roku really should try to move the process along to resolution and/or at least give us a clue about what the possibility of DD+ > DD transcoding actually happening is.

I had thought that it might be a licensing/cost issue as well. However, I have since hooked up my old Sony blu ray player to run Netflix and that downconverts the DD+ to DD to send over coaxial. I think I paid around $50 for the player. It is conceivable that Sony got a bulk discount for the licensing or software, but it seems more likely that assembling coding/software for DD over optical are on the back burner at Roku.

I've emailed with big peeps at both Netflix and Roku. The Netflix gent seemed nice enough but made it sound like they had been using DD+ for eons and didn't see any reason to quit now. The senior person I communicated with at Roku is aware of this thread and simply said that he would be looking into the DD+ to DD issue on the Roku 4. Make of that whatever you want. Coupled with the chronic HDCP errors I'm now getting on my Roku, I've been using my bluray player a lot more lately. It's not nearly as slick as the Roku, but I get to use my audio surround, which is important.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
nickg
Level 7

Hi all. My first post here.

I just got a Roku4 recently and I am not too happy about the inability to output Dolby Digital thru the optical output to my receiver. I'm running my DirecTV thru optical with no issues with DD, but you would think that Roku would have this figured out by now. Why have the optical output on the device if it ain't working, other that some sort of backward compatability and/or future proofing. Come on Roku....it probably isn't that hard to figure out.
0 Kudos
AnClar
Level 7

"nickg" wrote:
Hi all. My first post here.

I just got a Roku4 recently and I am not too happy about the inability to output Dolby Digital thru the optical output to my receiver. I'm running my DirecTV thru optical with no issues with DD, but you would think that Roku would have this figured out by now. Why have the optical output on the device if it ain't working, other that some sort of backward compatability and/or future proofing. Come on Roku....it probably isn't that hard to figure out.

To be clear...the Roku 4 does output Dolby Digital over optical. The problem is that most major providers these days (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu) are encoding their audio streams in Dolby Digital Plus. The Roku 4, in its current configuration will not transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital, and so those of us with older A/V receivers that cannot handle Dolby Digital Plus are forced to use two-channel stereo to hear any audio at all from those providers. HBO Go still uses Dolby Digital to encode their streams and so we can receive them in 5.1 over the optical port on the Roku 4...I have done so successfully. What Roku seems to be dragging their feet on is implementing this transcoding ability into the Roku 4. Competing products such as Fire TV already incorporate trannscoding. Back in November, Roku Dale said that it was possible to implement transcoding on the Roku 4 with a firmware update, and that Roku was "looking into" doing this. So four months later, they are apparently still "looking into" it and have not shared anything about whether or not they eventually will or will not implement DD+>DD transcoding on the Roku 4. This is extremely disappointing in such an innovative platform...and innovation was always something Roku was a leader in. At this point, I, and others are getting frustrated with the lack of progress and communication from Roku on this issue. I remain hopeful, but, like others, I'm considering other options. As people have said, the Roku 4 is a very slick product, but if they are not going to provide the feature set that I want and need, and I can get it elsewhere, I will have to take that into consideration when deciding which streaming solution I will use going forward.
Roku Ultra, Roku 4
Internet:1gig/40 Time Warner Spectrum Gigabit (DOCSIS 3.1)
Cbl Modem:Technicolor TC4400
Router:Asus RT-AC5300
0 Kudos
Highlighted
BLUE_SKIES
Level 7

I agree. This is really annoying, especially on an expensive unit like the R4. We need an answer. ROKU GIVE US AN UPDATE
0 Kudos
Highlighted
wa4cua
Level 7

Still waiting for an update.......
0 Kudos