Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Streams
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

So the problem is that the only model with an optical output is the 4? I see.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
JohnS-MI
Level 7

"Streams" wrote:
I'm genuinely curious about this since it seems like so many people want this option.

About 9 years ago I bought a PS3 and an inexpensive Onkyo home theater receiver for about $280. I was always into Dolby Digital so I was happy to have the new version of Dolby (and DTS). I actually forget if it was DD+ or DD True HD, it was so long ago. But I remember being happy because the receiver had a sign on the display which told me that the surround sound was working properly, which I thought was cool.

Unfortunately I had to give up the home theater system since I moved into a condo in which the downstairs neighbor could hear way too much.

Anyway, it just seems odd that in almost a decade there are so many people who want legacy surround sound, especially because I remember the receivers not being that expensive. I'm also curious why people want the expensive 4K Roku to use with the old surround sound. It seems like if you were into the new 4K spec and the expensive TV that you would also be into the newest surround sound.

DD+ is capable of higher quality sound but Amazon and Netflix are using to save a few bits (reduce bandwidth), not better sound. I'm supposed to spend $500 on a new AVR to save services I pay for a little bandwidth? **** That!

It's a bit of a non-issue as my Tivo will transcode to legacy DD5.1 via Toslink on apps available on it as well as the Roku, but it is forcing the Roku in "part time work" approaching retirement. Until I'm ready to buy a new AVR, legacy DD5.1 via Toslink is a "must have" on any future streamer purchases. It's simple, but it's mandatory, and Roku currently doesn't qualify. The "bit passer" argument carries ZERO weight with me.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Streams
Level 7

"JohnS-MI" wrote:
"Streams" wrote:
I'm genuinely curious about this since it seems like so many people want this option.

About 9 years ago I bought a PS3 and an inexpensive Onkyo home theater receiver for about $280. I was always into Dolby Digital so I was happy to have the new version of Dolby (and DTS). I actually forget if it was DD+ or DD True HD, it was so long ago. But I remember being happy because the receiver had a sign on the display which told me that the surround sound was working properly, which I thought was cool.

Unfortunately I had to give up the home theater system since I moved into a condo in which the downstairs neighbor could hear way too much.

Anyway, it just seems odd that in almost a decade there are so many people who want legacy surround sound, especially because I remember the receivers not being that expensive. I'm also curious why people want the expensive 4K Roku to use with the old surround sound. It seems like if you were into the new 4K spec and the expensive TV that you would also be into the newest surround sound.

DD+ is capable of higher quality sound but Amazon and Netflix are using to save a few bits (reduce bandwidth), not better sound. I'm supposed to spend $500 on a new AVR to save services I pay for a little bandwidth? **** That!

It's a bit of a non-issue as my Tivo will transcode to legacy DD5.1 via Toslink on apps available on it as well as the Roku, but it is forcing the Roku in "part time work" approaching retirement. Until I'm ready to buy a new AVR, legacy DD5.1 via Toslink is a "must have" on any future streamer purchases. It's simple, but it's mandatory, and Roku currently doesn't qualify. The "bit passer" argument carries ZERO weight with me.

This is a whole other issue.

What I was wondering is why you would want the "latest and greatest" (and expensive) Roku player if you are into decade old receiver and 2 decade old surround technology. That didn't jive with me. Why pay over twice as much for a 4K Roku when you are using other old technology to save money.

The answer, as seen above, is because the Roku 4 is the only model that has optical out. Now that makes sense. So my question was answered.

FWIW, You don't need to spend $500 on a receiver. There are excellent receivers available on Amazon for $200-300 that are completely up to date and will handle all your surround needs as well as being 4K compatible for the HDMI pass-thru. I am not telling you to go buy one, just saying that your $500 reference isn't exactly accurate.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
er824
Level 7

What I was wondering is why you would want the "latest and greatest" (and expensive) Roku player if you are into decade old receiver and 2 decade old surround technology. That didn't jive with me. Why pay over twice as much for a 4K Roku when you are using other old technology to save money.

The answer, as seen above, is because the Roku 4 is the only model that has optical out. Now that makes sense. So my question was answered.

FWIW, You don't need to spend $500 on a receiver. There are excellent receivers available on Amazon for $200-300 that are completely up to date and will handle all your surround needs as well as being 4K compatible for the HDMI pass-thru. I am not telling you to go buy one, just saying that your $500 reference isn't exactly accurate.

You nailed it. Now that I've returned my ROKU4 and had a bunch of time to think about it though I'd be much more interested in a ROKU2 or ROKU3 with optical / DD+ transcoding then the ROKU4. Otherwise I'm essentially paying an extra $60 for an optical audio output.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
madmox
Level 7

"BLUE SKIES" wrote:
"er824" wrote:
Dale -when I managed to find a DD stream the Roku correctly passed it. Unfortunately, that seems to be rare at least with the content providers I use. Amazon seemed to be using DD+ exclusively, VUDU seemed to be a mix with newer stuff being DD+ and older stuff being DD. I don't understand if the fault lies with the content providers or the Roku, but in the end I consistently get 5.1 from all providers with my $70 Sony blu-ray player. While the search capabilities and speed of the ROKU interface is certainly inviting they aren't compelling enough for me to upgrade my AVR.

I receive 5.1 on Netflix over HDMI on my FTV1 (2014 Model). With the Roku 4 it's a failed mission, and I am talking about the same AVR.

4k fire tv update 5.0.4 now let's you select plain DD over hdmi/optical now.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Heyitsrick
Level 11

"madmox" wrote:
"BLUE SKIES" wrote:
"er824" wrote:
Dale -when I managed to find a DD stream the Roku correctly passed it. Unfortunately, that seems to be rare at least with the content providers I use. Amazon seemed to be using DD+ exclusively, VUDU seemed to be a mix with newer stuff being DD+ and older stuff being DD. I don't understand if the fault lies with the content providers or the Roku, but in the end I consistently get 5.1 from all providers with my $70 Sony blu-ray player. While the search capabilities and speed of the ROKU interface is certainly inviting they aren't compelling enough for me to upgrade my AVR.

I receive 5.1 on Netflix over HDMI on my FTV1 (2014 Model). With the Roku 4 it's a failed mission, and I am talking about the same AVR.

4k fire tv update 5.0.4 now let's you select plain DD over hdmi/optical now.

Does the new FTV even have optical?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
WhiteBeard
Level 7

As someone who is stuck with a non-functional HDMI on their AV receiver, I would love to get an update from Roku on where the DD over optical stands. Has it been considered but rejected, is it in the process of being implemented, is it a matter of licensing, or is that not really important to Roku right now?
0 Kudos
AnClar
Level 7

"WhiteBeard" wrote:
As someone who is stuck with a non-functional HDMI on their AV receiver, I would love to get an update from Roku on where the DD over optical stands. Has it been considered but rejected, is it in the process of being implemented, is it a matter of licensing, or is that not really important to Roku right now?

As of now, Roku Dale is compiling a list of the most requested features from the fourth quarter of 2015 for presentation to the powers that be at Roku. One of the most requested features not only in the Q4 2015 list, but a big one in the Q1 2016 list is DD+ to DD transcoding. Unless something has changed, Roku is still considering it, and has not rejected it. I would expect a decision one way or the other at some point in the not too distant future.
Roku Ultra, Roku 4
Internet:1gig/40 Time Warner Spectrum Gigabit (DOCSIS 3.1)
Cbl Modem:Technicolor TC4400
Router:Asus RT-AC5300
0 Kudos
Highlighted
theuser86
Level 7

Any update on this? The thread below does NOT have DD+ to DD conversion listed on the Q1 2016 WIP list.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=91989
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RokuDale
Level 9

Please see:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=92702#p520690

Briefly, that WIP (Work in Progress) is for RokuShawnS to continue to update the list. It has nothing to do with what Roku is working on.
Sorry for any confusion.
rokudale
0 Kudos