Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Considering Enabling Standard Dolby Over Optical on

Put me in the "me too!" pile of wanting this feature. I have an older Pioneer AVR that doesn't properly decode the DD+ format used by Netflix, so having the Roku 4 transcode DD+ to DD would make it a must-buy for me.
0 Kudos
Level 9

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
This could be a game changer for many with legacy AVRs that don't have Dolby Digital Plus decoding. Roku has apparently seen enough comments in the forum that demonstrate serious interest in getting standard Dolby Digital over the Optical Out on the new Roku 4 that they are considering enabling this feature. I thought this important enough to put in its own thread because it was buried in a much longer thread.

Here's the quote from RokuDale (engineer at Roku) from the other thread:

We appreciate your feedback.

The DD+ to DD transcode is a feature we are considering for the Roku-4 but don't have a specific update to share at this time. The Roku-4 hardware will not need to change to add the DD+ to DD transcode capability.

Dolby Digital(DD) and DTS audio streams are already supported via pass-thru to both the HDMI and optical connector.

DD+ is also supported via pass-thru to HDMI, and in some cases it can be sent over the SPDIF optical connector to a receiver that is able to accept the DD+ stream.

RokuDale

Another VOTE for DD out on optical for my Denon 4802 receiver!!! PLEASE DO THIS. Nothing worse than a new gadget that disappoints!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Please add me to the list as well of those requesting DD+ to DD conversion on the optical out in the new Roku 4.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Registered for the express purpose of requesting DD+ to DD transcoding on the optical output.

- Another user with legacy AVR
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Very much needed. Having to spend money on a new receiver is dumb. Even if roku could do some kind of codec pack through a channel or something would be worth purchasing (please work on the roku 3 too)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Indeed! Please add me to the list. I just purchased one without reading the reviews, just based on what was displayed on the outside of the retail package. I was hoping to consolidate something, I don't want to change my AV system just to get DTS working again. I was going to the return the Roku 4 I purchased from costco, but stumbling onto this link gave me pause, I willing to wait a bit before I return it if a software solution is coming. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Regular DTS should work just fine over optical already. This topic is about DD+ to DD transcode.
dale
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This feature would be a reason to upgrade my Roku 2 XS to a Roku 4. I know there are other reasons,but I don't have a 4k TV, I do have a dumb, old receiver, which I still like.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"RokuDale" wrote:
Regular DTS should work just fine over optical already. This topic is about DD+ to DD transcode.
dale

Any updates on this? Amazon goes crazy with my fiber optic signal because it wants to transcode DD+ but the Roku won't allow it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Maybe I'm missing something here or not understanding how Roku does audio but my understanding that DD can just be extracted from the DD+ stream, or peeled off. Dolby specifically states backwards compatibility for DD from DD+. Why would you need to transcode (change format)?
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)
0 Kudos