Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmp2021
Level 7

Roku Composite Adapter

My HDMI ports have gone bad, can I use a HDMI Composite adapter for this? I see a blue/purple light on my Roku device but no signal on my TV when it's plugged into HDMI1 and on the HDMI 1 channel. No other ports will show the Roku. It's an HD Roku and I don't think my TV is HD.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku Composite Adapter

Precisely what model Roku do you have? See if you can find the model number printed on the case somewhere.

Can Roku players be used with HDMI-Analog converters? Yes, with a caution. It seems to be hit or miss if a particular adapter works. I suggest buying one from somewhere that will accept returns if it doesn't work. 

If your TV has HDMI ports, it's likely that it's an HD set. There were some very early TV in the early '00s that were wide screen, had HDMI ports, but were still SD sets. But those are all old enough now that it's likely they've been replaced by now. Now, being HD doesn't mean they support 1080p, as there are still some sets in use that accept 720p and 1080i via HDMI, but not 1080p. Roku players do not support 1080i, but they do all support 720p, as long as the TV reports its abilities correctly to the Roku for auto configuration. 

If you have some other player with an HDMI connection that you can try (DVD or Blu Ray player), you can check if the HDMI connection on the TV is working correctly. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Strega
Level 14

By the way, if you mean your Roku actually has HD in the name, (ie: Roku HD) then it would be very old and it looks like all models that used that designation have additional outputs besides HDMI.)

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

The most recent Roku HD models was the Roku 2 HD (Model 3000) released in 2011 and Roku HD (Model 2500) released in 2012.  Neither have been sold in over half a decade.  They are listed in the Roku developer documentation as discontinued legacy devices.  The last Roku OS update for those was 9.1 and they will never get the Roku OS 10 update.  To get the latest update of some channels on Roku require having Roku OS 9.4 and eventually will require having OS 10.

Given the age of the device, it might be possible the Roku has gone bad despite still being able to turn on the status light.

If you have a different HDMI device (DVD/BluRay player, game console, etc) then I recommend confirming the TV HDMI ports really have gone bad using that.

A composite video cable is designed to only output a video resolution of 480i unlike HDMI which is designed to provide 720p, 1080p and 2160p (4K).  For any HD television, even if it only does 720p, I would not recommend using composite video.

Ultimately, given the age of your Roku device, I would recommend replacing it with a recent model.  If you can confirm the HDMI ports on the TV are all damaged, then unfortantly you may need to replace the TV as well.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

I did notice the OP calling his device "HD", but I didn't interpret that as it being one of those ancient devices. If it is, it does offer analog outputs, if he can find the correct cables. But that's why I queried his exact model number. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos