Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Re: Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Serve

If this were a wide spread issue at all the Plex forums would be lighting up about it brighter than Las Vegas at midnight. I have seen nothing on the Plex forums at all about any such problem.

Also Plex is the only good place to get Plex problems fixed so this really needs to be posted on their forums. They also have people that can read and understand the Plex logs and just might see what is happening.

This is not an issue that exists for many people and it must be something messed up in the setups that are having problems.

Ask Plex and maybe they can help get to the bottom of the problem.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 9

Re: Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Serve

@OP and other BLOD sufferers with Plex. Are these videos being transcoded? Does it happen if you direct play a video?
Also, if you use RMP instead of Plex Channel does it still happen with transcoded videos? This is important since plex transcodes differently when using RMP vs the Plex channel.
0 Kudos
yacheah
Level 7

Re: Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Serve

"RokuDale" wrote:
@OP and other BLOD sufferers with Plex. Are these videos being transcoded? Does it happen if you direct play a video?
Also, if you use RMP instead of Plex Channel does it still happen with transcoded videos? This is important since plex transcodes differently when using RMP vs the Plex channel.

Hi

This only happens with transcode. With Direct play material there isn't an issue.

I reiterate that before the Roku June 6 update, there wasn't an issue with the same transcoded material either.


Would really appreciate your help here with this matter as Plex is pretty much the only thing I use on the Roku. It pretty much renders it useless for me.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Re: Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Serve

"yacheah" wrote:
"RokuDale" wrote:
@OP and other BLOD sufferers with Plex. Are these videos being transcoded? Does it happen if you direct play a video?
Also, if you use RMP instead of Plex Channel does it still happen with transcoded videos? This is important since plex transcodes differently when using RMP vs the Plex channel.

Hi

This only happens with transcode. With Direct play material there isn't an issue.

I reiterate that before the Roku June 6 update, there wasn't an issue with the same transcoded material either.


Would really appreciate your help here with this matter as Plex is pretty much the only thing I use on the Roku. It pretty much renders it useless for me.

Thanks

This is not a Roku problem. It  is a case of the "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy.
I have no problem running Plex, or Emby for that matter, playing on my Roku and transcoding on a Windows computer. I have the very latest Roku firmware and am running Windows 10 with all the latest updates.
As I said earlier: You should really ask for help over on  the Plex forums. While Plex has notoriously hideous customer support there are numerous people over there that will be able to read and understand your server logs and that can help you find the cause of your problems.
The Roku folks here are most probably pretty clueless about Plex and the logs it produces. It is possible that something as simple as upgrading or downgrading the fmpeg that Plex is using could give you the resolution you need but it would take Plex experts to be sure and even then they might just say that you should try a given fmpeg and see if it fixes the problem.
You could also try the Plex Preview app: Add Plex preview app and see if it causes the Roku to transcode differently.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

Re: Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Serve

I would be looking in the Windows Event Viewer for more information about what's going on here. Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer.  Once in Event Viewer, look at both the System logs and the Application logs. You're looking for red circular icons with "Error" next to them. These are in timeline order, so find a time where a crash occurred by scrolling down the list of events (there are many events!). Not every error is a crash, either, but you should find the ones that matter.

A potentially faster way is downloading the FREE "Bluescreen Viewer" from Nirsoft.  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

You want to be viewing the most recent "minidump" files (see the examples on the nirsoft link above).  Save screenshots of the recent .dmp files and post them in your dropbox.
0 Kudos
yacheah
Level 7

Re: Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Serve

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
I would be looking in the Windows Event Viewer for more information about what's going on here. Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer.  Once in Event Viewer, look at both the System logs and the Application logs. You're looking for red circular icons with "Error" next to them. These are in timeline order, so find a time where a crash occurred by scrolling down the list of events (there are many events!). Not every error is a crash, either, but you should find the ones that matter.

A potentially faster way is downloading the FREE "Bluescreen Viewer" from Nirsoft.  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

You want to be viewing the most recent "minidump" files (see the examples on the nirsoft link above).  Save screenshots of the recent .dmp files and post them in your dropbox.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.

I have actually done this before posting here.

I followed the various bug codes and did the multitude of disk checks, RAM tests, driver updates, BIOS updates, etc. There were basically no issues with any of them.

Playing back using the Plex web app with transcoding is also fine.

That is why I suspect it may be the transcoding, perhaps post Roku update that causes undue stress on the system causing it to shutdown but misreporting it as the various BSOD bug codes.

There are some instances which are AVG related but I had repaired and uninstalled and reinstalled AVG so I guess that isn't likely to be the problem.

i have also opened up the computer chassis and cleaned all dust and detritus and applied fresh thermal paste to the processor heatsink mounting. Temperatures also seem fine.

The Blue Screen Viewer summary is in my Dropbox as report.html

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v9x0k729magwd ... .html?dl=0

The mini dump files are also there.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3qlwvn6prmqx ... XrsYa?dl=0

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

Re: Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Serve

I would try doing a "System Restore" on your PC to a time before June  6, for starters.  I agree with others that Roku doesn't seem to be a possible culprit, regardless of the timeline.  

Also, the ntfs.sys driver is common to most of the crashes post 6/6.  When Plex transcodes, (I don't use it), I'm assuming it needs to create a "swap file" while doing so - a file at least the size of the original, if not larger.  If there's not enough free space in the location specified you can run into issues.

I just did a quick search and do see that Plex has a "cache" location that can be cleared out. I'd be doing that, too:

https://www.techjunkie.com/clear-cache-plex/

I'd also remove any USB connections as a test, reboot the PC without USB connected, and try your usual Plex processes.
0 Kudos