Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yacheah
Level 7

Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Server

Hi

I have a Roku 3 and have been using it with the Plex app and Plex Media Server for quite a few years without issues.

However, on 6 June, my Roku updated to Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04. Since then, my computer has had 10 instances of unexpected shutdowns called Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) all while streaming media through the Roku Plex app.

I had initially thought that the BSOD's may have been due to hardware or disk issues with my computer and did all the hard disk, memory and hardware tests, as well as updated all drivers. All of them reported no issues.

I then traced the problems with Blue Screen Viewer and found that they started happening on 6 June when the Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 update was rolled out to my Roku 3. Since then the frequency of the BSOD's have increase whenever I am streaming media on the Roku Plex app. My computer is otherwise fine. i can leave it running for days on end without any unexpected shutdowns until I use the Roku Plex app to stream media.

I would like to request that fix the issue as I cannot have my computer damaged as a result of the update.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Chicken
Level 7

Re: Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Serve

I'll just put it out there as a FWIW, without claiming anything or special knowledge of any sort but the conclusion I've come to is my hodge-podge Windows system is prone to BSOD b/c there's just not enough memory on the motherboard, the HDD swap file can become humongous at times and that's when it happens..
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Serve

I realize the common date makes it suspicious, but for the life of me I can't think of any reason an external device could cause a Windows crash. And by external I mean not connected to the computer in any way other than a network protocol. The external device (in this case a Roku player) has no connection at all to the Windows OS. All the player does is request the Plex server to stream the media to the player. There's just no way I can fathom that there could be something in the Roku OS that causes a Windows OS failure. Now if there were a Plex server update around the same time, perhaps that could be the issue. But nothing an external device can touch can cause a BSOD. In general, the Blue Screen is caused by either a driver misbehaving or some sort of hardware problem with the motherboard or its attached components (RAM or CPU). I have Plex on two computers (Windows 7 and 10), and have Roku devices connected to both. I haven't seen a blue screen in years, and that was a RAM issue. 
If possible, try stopping Plex for a few days and access your media via Windows Media Services, or try a free DLNA server. If you no longer have Windows problems, then it seems clear it's a Plex server issue. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
yacheah
Level 7

I have also noticed that the BSOD's occur with transcoding. Direct play material doesn't cause BSOD's. 

However, earlier on transcoding did not cause BSOD's either.

I am also able to transcode on the Plex web app without any BSOD's so far.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Sounds like a bug in the Plex windows software, and I also can't see how a Roku update would cause that.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
yacheah
Level 7

I'd like to attach the Plex Media Server log files here so anyone can help with locating the error.

Can't seem to do that. How to?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"yacheah" wrote:
I'd like to attach the Plex Media Server log files here so anyone can help with locating the error.

This forum doesn't support attachments. But if you post the files on a public sharing site, you can link to it here. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
yacheah
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"yacheah" wrote:

This forum doesn't support attachments. But if you post the files on a public sharing site, you can link to it here. 

Thanks
Here's the link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yz3c2uh5greg ... 2Gzva?dl=0
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 7

"yacheah" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"yacheah" wrote:

Thanks
Here's the link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yz3c2uh5greg ... 2Gzva?dl=0

But like.. why? We don't work for Plex brah. Plex works for Plex. Can't help with Plex. It's a conflict of interest. I am conflicted... lol. Plex is Plex. Roku is Roku. Cow goes moo. Owl goes hoot. Fox goes..??? What does the fox say?

I would try another media server software and see how that experience goes. There are other media server solutions besides Plex. Have you seen any?
I prefer the one with the motto "Your Media Your Way". I would suggest that one. *giggles*
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Obviously I'm partial to Serviio, and use the Roku Media Player (RMP) channel for playback. But Emby is another good one, and as mentioned there are numerous others. 
Dan
0 Kudos