Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryanwood17
Level 7

Roku 8.1 Update causing Netflix shows to freeze

Ever since my Roku Stick+ was update to 8.1 I have been having issues with Netflix channel.  When watching a show on Netflix, the show will freeze after 2-5 minutes and Roku will reset to the home screen.  This only seems to happen with Netflix channel so far as I've had no issues streaming the same shows via Plex on Roku.

I have tried the following things so far...
1. Removed Roku from TV and plugged back in after 5 min
2. Removed Netflix channel from Roku and readded
3. Streamed Netflix from my laptop - no issues - this seems to rule out my Internet
4. Tried to stream 3-4 separate shows/movies on Roku Netflix - all froze after 2-5 minutes of viewing
5. Checked for Roku updates - none available

Anyone else having similar problems with 8.1?
0 Kudos
16 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Roku 8.1 Update causing Netflix shows to freeze

When you remove the Netflix channel from the Roku, be sure you reboot it BEFORE adding it again (unplug it, wait a few minutes, and then plug it back in).

I'm not seeing any issues on mine.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
TC1
Level 7

I don’t know about an update, but mine has been doing the same thing on Netflix and YouTube. About 2 minutes into the stream it will just shut off and go back to the home screen. It does this on my Roku TV and my Roku plug in. Netflix works just fine on the Xbox and our phones. Its getting annoying.
0 Kudos
ryanwood17
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
When you remove the Netflix channel from the Roku, be sure you reboot it BEFORE adding it again (unplug it, wait a few minutes, and then plug it back in).

I'm not seeing any issues on mine.

Hi Shawn,
I repeated the steps as you specified and it did fix the problem for a few days.  Today Netflix reverted back and began freezing up again and sending me back to home page.  I tried the resolution steps again to remove netflix, unplug, plug in, re-install netflix, but the issue still occurs.  Any known bugs related to 8.1?  I'd love to be a beta tester if you have a new release in the works.
Regards,
Ryan Wood
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I haven't seen any bugs re:Netflix under 8.1, but I'll double-check tomorrow.

Please post your serial and model number, and DeviceID if applicable (Settings > System > About).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

We don't have anything on the docket regarding this particular issue.  I really need the above information so I can file it for before our next update goes out.

Are you still having issues, or has everything settled down and is working again?  Please update the thread ASAP.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
ryanwood17
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
We don't have anything on the docket regarding this particular issue.  I really need the above information so I can file it for before our next update goes out.

Are you still having issues, or has everything settled down and is working again?  Please update the thread ASAP.

I'm still having issues as of today.  I just tried the same steps to remove netflix channel, remove from tv, plug back in, reboot, reinstall netflix.  I launch a show and it freezes 2 min into the program and eventually kicks me back to roku home page.  Other apps such as hulu, amazon prime, and plex are still working without any issues.
Serial: YH00E9875107
Model: 3810X - Roku Streaming Stick+
Device ID: C137CE875107
Software: 8.1.0 - build 4317-50
0 Kudos
ryanwood17
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:

Hi Shawn,
Would it be possible to downgrade my system back to the 8.0 version so I can quickly confirm if it is the particular 8.1 update causing the issue?
Regards,
Ryan Wood
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

We don't do downgrades individually, but I'll ask engineering tomorrow if they have some downgrade lists so we can test your situation.  No promises, though.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
silvio9818
Level 7

Same issues since the 8.1 upgrade not working well with the latest Neflix July/August 2018 update via a wireless network! I did everything from unplugging, re booting my router/modem, deleting and re installing Netflix, getting the HDMi extender, even doing a factory reset and starting all over again!! Netflix then worked great for about an hour and then dropped the internet speed dramatically! Once I deleted the Netflix app, turned off Roku and re booted it up, the speed went back to normal of almost 60 opposed to the 3.6 it dropped down to with Netflix and Roku working together!
It is Only on the wireless network with Roku as when I watch Netflix via an Ethernet connection, or watch Netflix on my laptop, or tablet or phone it is just fine! 
Therefore I concluded that both updates (both happening around the same time) just don't work together on any wireless network unless one's router/modem is right by the hookup (which in most cases is impossible to do! A fix is really needed! Note Netflix feels they are fine as I spoke to them and they plan no fixes are needed!
0 Kudos