Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kboone
Reel Rookie

Roku 4k Streaming Stick will not work at 4k settings

So here is my setup.  

Roku 4k Streaming stick connected to 3-1 HDMI splitter that is supposed to support 4k at 60Hz

4k HDMI cable to Samsung Q700 Soundbar that supports 4k pass through

4k HDMI cable from Samsung Q700 to Epson 3800.

So been struggling with this setup.  Roku works all day long if I only use 720 or 1080 for video modes.  The Roku tells my setup has detected that it can run 4K and 4K HDR.  However, every time I change to this mode, my screen goes dark, until the timer runs out and then it pops up a message that says something like I guess that mode didn't work since you didn't click anything.

I know the splitter and cables are good, because I was initially testing an Xbox Series X that is also connected to the HDMI splitter.  It too was initially telling me that it could support 4k but when I selected 4k settings, it would go dark.  That is when I upgraded to a higher grade of cabling, between the splitter and the soundbar and the soundbar and the projector.  Once I did that, my xbox now works at 4k 60Hz.  At that point I thought I was good.

But when I try the Roku 4k Streaming stick, it says it detects that it can do 4k, but when I turn on 4k it goes dark.

It is all the same cabling that is in use for the xbox, the roku is just in a different port on the splitter than the xbox.  I have also swapped ports on the splitter and nothing changes.  Xbox works in 4k across the setup, but not the roku 4k streaming stick.

Any thoughts on this?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 4k Streaming Stick will not work at 4k settings

@kboone 

I am certainly no expert with 4k issues, but have you tried the Streaming Stick 4k directly into TV HDMI (no splitter, no peripherals) to see if experiencing the same issue.

Some of these Roku devices can have compatibility issues with various switches.  By directly plugging the Streaming Stick 4k into HDMI port, can at least rule out device issue.  Then need to start connecting to different components to see fail point.

I am sure others will stop by with more experience in these matters and offer more suggestions.  Perhaps  @UserOfStreamers can find time to offer some suggestions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
kboone
Reel Rookie

Yes I plugged it directly into the Epson 3800 and it will do 4k, but the problem with leaving it there is I can't get the audio back to the sound bar.  So the Roku device works.  My next step is to plug it into the sound bar but I can't do that directly.  I will have to get a an adapter to connect the roku to another cable first.  The HDMI ports on the sound bar don't give you much room

I just figured if the xbox is sending it successfully through everything the Roku ought to be able to as well.  I don't get it.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@kboone 

Everything @AvsGunnar  suggested and that you are doing in terms of moving along the connection chain until the point-of-failure is found is good.

The likely point of failure is either the passthrough mode of the soundbar, or the splitter.

Specifically, make sure your soundbar's HDMI port/passthrough mode is set to "enhanced" (or otherwise test the different modes, if available).

Otherwise, there are occasional EDID/HDMI handshaking issues with specific configurations/setups/devices, so make sure you check for the latest firmware (OS11 was just released, and is likely available for your model):  Settings/System/System update/Check now

kboone
Reel Rookie

Well I was able to get a back to back adapter today and was able to verify it was the splitter that was causing my problem.  It was listed as one that supports 4k at 60hz etc etc..  It works for the xbox series x but not the Roku.  I was able to pick up another 4k splitter today to test out.  That one gave me a signal for about 5 seconds, then went black.. a little bit longer it came back on for about 5 secs.  This particular splitter had an ac jack on it but it did not come with an ac adapter.  I am thinking the splitter needs more power than what it is receiving from the Roku HDMI connection at this point and that I need to make sure and get a powered splitter.  That is my best guess at this point.