Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zora
Channel Surfer

Roku 4K Express picture cuts off every few minutes

I bought a #Roku 4K Express stick in April and fairly soon started noticing an issue that while the playback otherwise works well, the picture cuts off every few minutes for a few seconds. The sound keeps coming normally but I have a black screen for a few seconds. I've switched the HDMI cable but it didn't change anything. The stick is connected to my Samsung soundbar and the soundbar to the tv. My cable box and Chromecast which are also connected to the soundbar don't have this issue, so it really seems Roku related. Maybe I have a defective device?

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 4K Express picture cuts off every few minutes

Well try different HDMI ports and see if that fixes the issue.  If not, get an HDMI switcher!  ~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Zora-

When you say "playback" are you referring to playing things that you have recorded?  If so, Rokus have no provision for recording anything, so you are using a cloud dvr function located on the server of some particular channel service.  Problems with playing back such recordings should be referred to the channel service in question.

If, instead, you are just referring to playing content available live or on demand, information about which channel service you are watching, what is going on when this occurs (often reported when returning from inserted commercials), and any other details you can provide, may help you get the answers you need.  Mentioning your Roku model and model number (both available via Roku menu path Settings > System > About) can also be helpful.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

@Zora  Exactly what channel is this occurring on? More information would help

Zora
Channel Surfer

I mean it happens when I'm watching channels, like Netflix, Disney+, AmazonPrime. It's not related to commercials. It happens while I'm watching any show on those channels. And when I e.g. watch Netflix through my cable box (set-top box), this doesn't happen.

It's a Roku Express 4K stick, model number 3940EU.

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

@Zora  That sounds like your losing your WiFi connection. How fast is your internet? Have you tried switching between the 2.4GHz and the 5.0GHz? Run a check connection test on your Roku. Go to settings/network/check connection. Press the ok button on the remote. When the test is over you will see a result screen. Something like "Good at 150 Mbps". Your cable box is directly connected to a coaxial and not WiFi. 

Zora
Channel Surfer

I did the network check at got the results Internet download speed Good (224 Mbps) and signal strength is Excellent. I can try to switch between the 2.4 and 5.0.

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

@Zora 224 Mbps is a very good internet connection. It is still possible your signal is dropping out. Does this happen all the time? During a certain time of day? Understand that your Roku is under warranty for 12 months from the date of purchase. There is also no such thing as a Roku Express Stick. It is either a Roku Express or a Stick. What is the exact model number? Also the Stick or Express should be connected directly to your TV and not soundbar. The power should be connected into the wall and not USB TV power. It is hard to diagnose something when it is plugged into a soundbar. You need to eliminate the obvious issues first and start with a normal setup. I own 2 Stick 4K's. They work awesome and are plugged directly into the TV. My soundbar is connected via HDMI ARC. 

0 Kudos
Zora
Channel Surfer

As I stated above, the model is 3940eu and as I state in the title of my query, it is Roku 4K express. It is possible to connect the device through a soundbar (with the soundbar connected to your tv) as stated on the Roku website. Also, if it was a connection issue, I would think the sound to cut off too.

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

@Zora  When you are seeking help part of that help means taking advice. You cannot diagnose something properly with other factors added in. So step one is to plug the Roku Express HDMI cord directly into an open HDMI port on your TV. Secondly be sure it is plugged directly into the wall. If the problem goes away then the issue is with your soundbar. But you need to eliminate the soundbar first. 

https://support.roku.com/article/225735828

0 Kudos