Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samgrif
Level 7

Roku 4800r not recognizing Sony A8H Oled is 4k

I recently swapped an old 4k Roku (4670) with the new 4800r on my Sony A8H Oled TV.  The old Roku had no problems with 4k, but didn’t do Dolby Vision.  Now with the 4800r I can only get 1080p DV, or 4k with no HDR.  I have checked all settings and this condition occurs when the Roku is attached directly to the TV.  I am at software version 9.4.1 on the 4800r.  Anyone have suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku 4800r not recognizing Sony A8H Oled is 4k

My first suggestion is to try a different HDMI cable, ensuring it's rated at 18 Gbps. When I first switched from a Roku 4 (4K) to the Ultra 4640 (4K HDR) the cable I was using without a problem would not permit a 4K connection with the Ultra. Since the 4800 is another step above the older Ultra (because of DV), it might be more sensitive to the cable. 

Also, any chance you're running through an AVR? If so, the AVR must also support 4K DV. I had to swap my two Yamaha AVRs when I got the 4800, because only one of them supports DV. There was no issue with HDR, but DV was not available from my Ultra or my Shield until I swapped the AVR. Never mind, I see you said it's direct connected. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Samgrif
Level 7

Thanks for the reply, yes I am going through a Denon AVR, but I finally found my problem with the Roku.  There is an HDMI setting buried in the Sony TV settings, I had to change from standard to enhanced format.  You would think that Sony would have made the default to support 4k DV on the ports.  The thing that threw me off was that my Apple TV box was doing 4k DV just fine, and the old Roku was doing 4k fine.  I had seen some posts about changing HDMI ports, but I didn’t think the A8H had to be changed!  Now my only problem is getting the New Sony bluray to give me Atmos sound, but that’s for another forum.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

That was going to be my next question. Smiley Very Happy I had assumed you had already changed it for your previous Roku. Yes, almost all 4K/HDR TVs have a similar setting. The reason it's not on by default is that some devices behave badly with the setting on, particularly if the connected device isn't 4K. Myself, I've never seen it happen, so I have always enabled it on all ports. Of course, because I use a Yamaha AVR I only have one HDMI cable connected to the TV itself. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos