Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qczman2
Channel Surfer

Roku 4800 ultra issues heat related?

First off, I want to say I am a long time Roku users and currently have may products which work well and I enjoy.  Recently I switched out mu previous model ultra (4660X2) for the new 4800 model to get full support for Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Since then I have had problems in two areas which seem to impact others.

1.  When a streaming show starts up initially or after a brief pause, the show starts but the audio starts up 1 second or two later.

2. If I paused for more than approximately 2 minutes, when I un-paused the streaming service (doesn't seem to matter which one, I verified it happens on Prime, Netflix and HBO max), audio doesn't come back on. I f I try to switch the TV input, everything freezes and the TV (i think also the Roku, but am not sure) reboots. After which I am back to the same boat (audio start lag, and can't pause it for more than 2 minutes.  I have tried different cables, factory reset, changing audio settings, nothing works. The old 4660x2 ultra works fine if I swap it back.

My setup is a 2018 VISO Quantum X set, and VISO sound bar, surround system with Atmos.

During my latest attempt at trouble shooting, I noticed something interesting.  When trying my third HDMI cable, I noticed the hard surface the Roku was placed on was very warm to the touch (102-105 F?).  SO on a hunch I tried something.  I put the Roku on top of 2 inch long small plastic risers that were one-inch high (just on the outside edges)  to improve air circulation.  Wow, what a difference.  Almost no audio startup delay on stream start.  And now I can pause it for over 5 minutes and unpause- no problem with audio coming back.  I even went 11 Minutes on pause and audio came back fine (although it locked up the audio with a loud buz when I tried to rewind).  I also noticed than in normal operation the unit now stays cool, but stills warms up a bit when I pause for more than 1 minute or so.

This makes me wonder if some of the similar problems people are having with the 4800s are related heat in some way?  I'd be curious if any of you who have been having these types of issue would try to see if doing something to improve heat dissipation makes any difference.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 4800 ultra issues heat related?

Sounds like some good troubleshooting.  I'll be interested to see what sort of response you get.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
atc98092

I haven't had any issues with my 4800. It sits on top of my HTPC case, but the case does not vent on the top so it's a relatively cool place. I just went downstairs to feel how warm it is. Now it's only in standby mode, as I haven't used it since yesterday afternoon. But it barely feels warm at all. Enough to tell it's powered up, but not in any way overly warm. I'll likely use it again this afternoon and I'll see if it warms noticeably. You might check to see if any case openings have gotten anything blocking them. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dathead2
Roku Guru

1.  When a streaming show starts up initially or after a brief pause, the show starts but the audio starts up 1 second or two later.

This started happening to me too just last week (new software rollout?) on Roku 2018 model ultra    Only a minor annoyance   Not seeing the other major audio issues you describe  

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
atc98092

I am currently watching Iron Man 2 on Disney+. This is 4K/Dolby Vision, so I would expect it to be stressing the 4800 to the max. I placed my hand on the Ultra case and it's no warmer than it felt when it hadn't been used for hours, just slightly warm. 

My personal opinion is there's no heat issue with the 4800 by default. There appears to be individual units with issues that could be due to several reasons. There could be a defect in the cooling ducts that blocks airflow, there could be a defective piece of hardware, or it could simply be something related to the environment the device is placed in. Really hard to judge without having the device. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
qczman2
Channel Surfer

I'll look at the unit to see what I can about the cooling holes.  As to the environment, its sits on an open wood shelf, although I have also tried it on the metal top cover of my 4kBlue Ray to see if that disipates heat better, but it doesnt.

0 Kudos
itsGonzo

I bought that latest Ultra model 4802 because it had a lot of good features and was supposedly able to mount behind the TV. Partially true, but after 2-1/2 hours streaming a movie I paused it for a bathroom break. That pause caused it to freeze completely. I then moved it out into plain view, which is not why I bought it, and it was able to operate for roughly 5 hours with no problems, No problems and even being paused for 15 minutes for dinner it picked up where and how it should. The next day it froze during startup. Unplugged and replugged it and it worked well for over a week. Now it is behaving itself. Looks **bleep** hanging alongside my wall mounted 47" Vizio though. I am going to buy the TCL Roku smart tv and get away from the Ultra. By the way I also have the 4K streaming stick and it got hot behind the tv also but not as often and with fewer problems.

0 Kudos