Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku 4 stuck in endless reboot loop !

Jump to solution
I have had 2 Roku 4s end up in the endless loop issue now, waiting for the 3rd to go. Fortunately I still had my Roku 3s which seem to be more durable. I have a Roku Ultra that has been freezing and rebooting but not in the endless loop. Not sure what Roku is doing to brick the Roku 4, but they should figure it out. Roku 4 seems to be the Windows Vista version equivalent.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
I got my Roku Ultra last Friday and it set up fine.  Been gone for a couple of days, I come back to watch something last night and I get the initial animation (guys...it's cute ONCE) screen and then reboot.  Over and over again.  Guess I'm taking it back to Best Buy this Friday evening.  If it is a corrupted update it's not my problem Roku.  I didn't give you permission to push updates to me so I have no idea when the update arrived.  I wasn't there.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
Don't know if this will help, but I have a ROKU 4 that started that boot loop nonsense and I tried everything to no avail.
Long story short, I had a micro-SDcard in the slot. When I removed the card and rebooted the ROKU, came right up.
So I reinserted the card, rebooted and the endless boot loop started again.
Removed the card and rebooted. Issue resolved.
Hope this helps, if not, good luck to you Sir.
ROKU Stick (2017)
ROKU TVs (55S405 & 32S305)
Express+ 2017 (3910RW)
ROKU 4 (4400R)
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Thank you for jarring my memory.  So my roku 4 bricked, called customer no service support and they said get a new one in English the best they could.  Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought I read the micro sd card was the problem now I couldn't find the power supply.  Found the PS took out the micro SD and lo and behold it's working.  Of course the first time I ran into this was a couple of years ago and it appears Roku didn't see fit to fix the issue OR tell their tech support about the problem with the Microsd cards.  Instead it appears they were instructed to let the cuistomer know to purchase a new one.  WHAT CRAP ROKU!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Had same problem. Removed SD card and main screen came up. Put in new SD card and all seems ok now.
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
same issue here, remove sd card for the win!! but Roku needs to fix this ASAP!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
Same endless loop reboot...

And removing the microsSD card immediately solved problem. Thank you for suggesting this fix.

BTW, why use the sd card anyway? None of my channels loaded any faster. I noticed no improvements in performance.
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution
"Jamesbythebay" wrote:
Same endless loop reboot...

And removing the microsSD card immediately solved problem.  Thank you for suggesting this fix.

BTW, why use the sd card anyway?  None of my channels loaded any faster. I noticed no improvements in performance.

The SD card is only used when you have more channels installed than can fit on the internal memory. If you don't reach that limit, the card does nothing. And if you don't use a card but do fill the memory, and try to start a channel this isn't in memory, the player just removes the least used channel and installs the one you ask for. That would cause a one-time delay when installing the channel.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted

Jump to solution
ok peeps I think I got your fix to the dreaded boot screen loop I played and play with this roku 4 several hours
befor I had to sit and think what could have screwed this 9 month old unit to fail and come to remember we had a storm
with power failure and surges
Anyway rokus are basically a small computer they have there main drive which store os and apps but there are some apps that require
sd disc inserted in order for app to retain its memory so basically I unplug roku then removed the sd card then plug roku back in
walla it booted fast the first time so I would try that before trashing your roku
hope this helps
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution
"santamariajames" wrote:
ok peeps I think I got your fix to the dreaded boot screen loop I played and play with this roku 4 several hours
befor I had to sit and think what could have screwed this 9 month old unit to fail and come to remember we had a storm
with power failure and surges
Anyway rokus are basically a small computer they have there main drive which store os and apps but there are some apps that require
sd disc inserted in order for app to retain its memory so basically I unplug roku then removed the sd card then plug roku back in
walla it booted fast the first time so I would try that before trashing your roku
hope this helps

You don't quite have the internals of a Roku correct. There is (are) no drive(s), and while not all Roku players have an SD slot, even the ones that do don't have to have one installed to work. Read the description above for what the SD card does, and it doesn't do anything else. Yes, ejecting the SD card has been successful for many people that have been stuck in the reboot loop. But others have also had the problem with players that have no SD slot.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos