Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku 4 stuck in endless reboot loop !

Jump to solution
I am having the same issue, but do not have an SD card in the device. I have unplugged everything, plugged everything back in, tried the hard reset several times, all to no avail. The device was working fine about an hour ago. I'm really not sure what else to try.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have an brand new (bought yesterday) Roku Express. No SD card. Endless reboot which can be stopped by unplugging HDMI from Roku. Boots up properly works for variable amounts of time but between 5-15 minutes or when ever Netflix or a pause in programming new scene or beginning of new episode. This looks like an HDCP propblem. I replaced my working Roku express (purchased Nov 2017) because I thought it had failed. New one does the EXACT same thing! BTW, watching MLB.tv which appears to work much longer 60 minutes or  so (small sample size ..todays Cubs game) tells me there is alot less HDCP handshaking going on . Interesting ..because I am an investor and have been following Roku stock..nice big jump after their last earnings statement last week. BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM HERE..I am now getting an idea to short this stock instead of going long..If you do not get a fix out there for this HDCP handshake problem you will lose alot of customers to Amazon Firestick.. But I can also make some $$ if you don't so win win I guess but sad cause I liked your product and your licensing capabilities with the TV manufactures  Awaiting your response..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
I understand being distressed about the matter, but your level of anger is off the charts.  These histrionics don't play well even with your level of frustration.  I noticed that you do not use an SD card and removal of that worked for me.  So, contact ROKU and explain the matter.  If a new unit does the "exact same thing," then the problem would logically be at your end.  Perhaps your signal is not strong enough.  In any case, keep contacting ROKU WITHOUT the rude approach.  You can be firm, but if you resort to screaming and yelling, you are much less likely to get the help you need.  Try empowering them . . . "Hey, I have a recurring problem and only you can help me with this!"
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
I also had the SD card issue. Not having a cache of replacement SDs handy, I tried reformatting the SD in my laptop and retrying it in the Roku. It took about 20 minutes to format it again (a special Roku format I assume), but then errored out that it was incompatible. Interestingly, the same SD works in the laptop, a tablet, and a phone. What's going on, Roku?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution
"Dialogue62" wrote:
I also had the SD card issue.  Not having a cache of replacement SDs handy, I tried reformatting the SD in my laptop and retrying it  in the Roku. It took about 20 minutes to format it again (a special Roku format I assume), but then errored out that it was incompatible.  Interestingly, the same SD works in the laptop, a tablet, and a phone.  What's going on, Roku?

My guess is that the SD card is of a high capacity format. Roku won't use more than 2 GB of a card, so if your card is of a much higher capacity, it's probably not gonna work.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Jump to solution
I had this happen with a Roku 3 I had once. Long story short, and as odd as this sounds.... I ended up downloading the mobile app to use as a remote control. Took the batteries out of the Roku remote control. Rebooted. It finally worked. Not sure why, but that was the fix for me. It's worth a try, but I don't know if you'll have the same results as I did. Good luck. Oh. And you will need fresh batteries for the remote, if that is what fixes the issue. And technically you won't need the mobile app, but I kept it, just as a backup.
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
The micro SD card becomes corrupted most likely to a power outage. Ether replace it or pull it and quick format it on another device then reinstall it back into the Roku and format it again. Unfortunately Roku doesn't have a work around for this.
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
I am a newbie on this forum but not a newbie in life (far from it).  I have had a ROKU 4 for about 6 months and yesterday had a power outage to repair an electric line.  This morning the ROKU was stuck in a boot loop, dancing ROKU forever.  Tried many things, hard reset, cable change, etc. to no avail.  Found the earlier posts on this forum about the SD card, so removed it and ROKU stopped dancing and booted.  Reinserted card and back to infinity dance.  Took it back out, normal boot.  Then checked it out on my desktop ant the card wouldn't show up.  Definitely blown.  Problem solved and many thanks to the previous posters.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Make sure that you take out any sd card because it messes with the automatic updates. After removing it, hold the reset button on the bottom for about 5 seconds and it should reboot correctly.
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Thank you! I was about to go and buy another one! The micro SD card was the problem and honestly, never seems to work anyway because my channels are constantly reloading.