Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajbunton
Reel Rookie

Roku 4 is ALWAYS Running HOT!

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 4 that has been and is ALWAYS running hot. I have put up with it, but just can not anymore. I went to the online form to request a free HDMI extender, but it is not accepting the serial number (retrieved from my "System Info" screen within the Roku system) that I am entering. Since the only support you can get here, is through these discussions, please provide a resolution with the initial response.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku 4 is ALWAYS Running HOT!

Jump to solution

@ajbunton 

Thanks for the post.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

Please be aware that the HDMI extender is for the Roku Streaming Stick as it is physically attached to the TV, not through a HDMI cable with other devices.

If you are still experiencing issues after review our Support page, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The Roku 4 (model 4400) is the only Roku player with an internal fan. If the air vents are blocked, it could overheat. And of course, fans can fail. That said, most Roku players run on the warm side. How are you defining it as hot? Not arguing about it, just need your definition. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ajbunton
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The system prompts me that it's running hot, with the message," Device is too hot. Power off, run cooler, or move the device to a cooler location."

The device is actually heighten on a make-shift tool to allow air all around it, including the bottom. It is not crowded and actually has a fan sitting behind it to cool it off.  It still runs hot all day every day, unless I turn on the loud little fan. Though, again, this is WAY TOO much and too long of an inconvenience.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@ajbunton 

Thanks for the post.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

Please be aware that the HDMI extender is for the Roku Streaming Stick as it is physically attached to the TV, not through a HDMI cable with other devices.

If you are still experiencing issues after review our Support page, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ukorbob

Jump to solution

I was occasionally getting the "Device is too hot. Power off, run cooler, or move the device to a cooler location." message too. If I try to ignore this, it keeps nagging, and I've seen it shut off once.

I've tried moving the box so there is better air flow around it, which sometimes helps. When I don't want further interruption and hassle, I wet a towel with cold water so it is damp (not dripping) and then set the box on top of that. This kluge works for a few hours.

I recently upgraded to a OLED TV and UHD 4K receiver, and I'm now getting this compliant after watching high-res stream for about an hour. It appears the box is working harder to handle the higher volume.

This box is clearly under-designed with respect to heat management. I think you should replace it under warranty.  Does the newer 4K box have better capacity/reliability?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Ukorbob wrote:

Does the newer 4K box have better capacity/reliability?

I have three different versions of the Ultra, along with a Premiere and Express 4K+. These are all 4K capable, and I have never seen a heat warning from any of them. They all do sit in an open space, but nothing special has been done to cool them. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Ukorbob

Jump to solution

Must be nice. 

Where can I get support to correct this problem?

[more characters for the hungry forum app.]

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The Roku 4 is now over 6 years old. There's really no "fixing" it. You can try blowing compressed air through the vents to see if you can improve its internal cooling. But it's not worth the cost to try and have someone open it up and attempt a repair. I realize it was expensive (I had a 4 as well), but honestly if you use 4K playback you really need a new player anyway. The Roku 4 does not support HDR, HLG or Dolby Vision. All of the other 4K players support HDR/HLG (might just be the Ultras for HLG), while the Ultra 4800 and Express 4K/4K+ support Dolby Vision. 

Dan

Ukorbob

Jump to solution

I'd guessed I'd a new streaming box could be needed. Your list of incompatibilities and the overheating confirms that. 

Thanks for that.

Looks like a Roku Express 4K+ would do the job. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I have an Express 4K+, although I haven't used it a whole lot yet. It's my travel player, and is connected in a spare bedroom when I'm not on the road. But it seems quite good. And it's pretty inexpensive as well. 🙂

Dan

0 Kudos