Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku 4 black out

I can receive any of the networks and they play fine but after an hour or so the screen goes black and then later the ROKU name starts scrolling top to bottom. If I return to home,pluto,game show will start over again and do the same thing. run checksfrom settings and signal is strong. Only new indication in top right corner when playing as a small oblong box with the bottom half of a circle in it.  ??????

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku 4 black out

Is this just happening with Pluto TV? If so, the first thing to try is to remove the channel, reboot the Roku (critical step, so not skip) and add the channel back in.

If it continues to happen, and it only happens with Pluto TV, then you need to contact them for assistance. Roku themselves did not create the channel and does not provide support for it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It happens on all channels.   we only have a 3mbps Cemtury Link WIFI the modem and router are 6 years old Netgear.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@captnlen wrote:

It happens on all channels.   we only have a 3mbps Cemtury Link WIFI the modem and router are 6 years old Netgear.

Well, 3 Mbps is barely, and I mean barely sufficient for online streaming. You might get 720p, but you won't get 1080 or higher from anything. 

As to the player crashing, The Roku 4 is 5 years old and is the only player that used that particular CPU. It's possible that Roku overlooked something with their latest update that doesn't play well on that CPU. It's also possible that the player is simply reaching the end of the line. The Roku 4 was the only player with an internal fan, due to the heat generated. Heat is the enemy of electronic devices, so it might just be failing. I still have a Roku 4 that my granddaughter uses, and they haven't told me of any issues with it. But it wouldn't surprise me if it suddenly gave up.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos