Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gistane
Level 7

Roku 4 Ultra 4k Double Display issues

I have this issue every now and then with the Roku 4 Ultra and have 2 others and all will do the same thing

Just some spec background of what I am running

TV: Sony 75" 4k TV Model KD-75X8500D
Roku 4 Ultra
Display choice: 4k UHD HDR

I get a display that looks like this

My Roku is up to date and I have tried different HDMI cords as well. I have made sure that my TV input has been set to enhanced to allow for 4k UHD display

Any ideas how to fix this to stop happening?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku 4 Ultra 4k Double Display issues

Is it the Roku 4 or Ultra? Those are two different boxes. I know you've tried different HDMI cables, but that really looks like an HDMI connection issue.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
gistane
Level 7

Its the Roku 4 Ultra

I have tried 2 boxes and even used a brand new 4k HDMI cable that did the same thing
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

Just throwing it out there.  Have you tested that HDMI port with something else?  Or tried a different HDMI port?

It appears that besides the doubling of the image, you are also missing a lot of RED.  Seems like some kind of HDMI issues.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"gistane" wrote:
Its the Roku 4 Ultra

I have tried 2 boxes and even used a brand new 4k HDMI cable that did the same thing

It is not a 4 Ultra. No such thing. Either a 4, or an Ultra. I am assuming you mean the Ultra. We have to ask because they are two different boxes.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
gistane
Level 7

Yes it is the Ultra

I think going into the secret menu and changing the HDR mode from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 may have actually helped fix the issue as I have not see it in a few days

I do sometimes get the HDCP error as well
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Yes, some TVs don't handle 4:2:2 very well, and 4:2:0 is a better choice. For my Samsung set, 4:2:0 eliminated some color banding on 4K material. 
Dan
0 Kudos
gistane
Level 7

So it appears the solution did not fix the problem and I think this is an issue with the Roku Ultra boxes

The issue I have is now happening with atleast 2 boxes on different TVs using different HDMI cables

1 of the TVs I am using is also not a 4k TV so the settings are set to 1080p and get these dual images
0 Kudos
swren
Level 7

I have the exact same problem with my Roku Premiere - HD and 4K UHD Streaming Media Player. Whenever it happens I switch back to my TV, then switch to the Roku again, and it has worked correctly when I switch to it the second time every time thus far. It's a nuisance and I'm concerned that it might not work on the second, third, etc, connection at some point in the future which would render the device worthless. That's why I was searching the Internet for a fix.
0 Kudos
teal73
Level 7

I have the exact same issue with my Roku Premier Plus that was purchased a week ago and the Same Sony TV (55 " version).  
If I remove the power from the back of the ROKU and immediately restore it, the problem is fixed.  I currently am using HDMI 3,not sure if it happens on all inputs?  I noticed when you hit the input on the TV Remote - the Roku Box and Roku HDMI cable are both listed.  Not sure if that has something to do with the occasional mirror images?   
0 Kudos