Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heyitsrick
Level 9

Roku 4 Audio Output Dolby Digital Plus via Optical

I noticed something interesting on the spec sheet:

I'm wondering if this is going to solve the issue people have with older home theater receivers that can't decode DD+. Dolby itself says that DD+ when output over S/PDIF (optical, in this case) is down-converted to standard DD 5.1.

Excerpt from DD+ page:

Is Dolby Digital Plus content backward-compatible?

Because Dolby Digital Plus is built on core Dolby Digital technologies, content that is encoded with Dolby Digital Plus is fully compatible with the millions of existing home theaters and playback systems worldwide equipped for Dolby Digital playback.

Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks are easily converted to a 640 kbps Dolby Digital signal without decoding and reencoding, for output via S/PDIF.

The 640 kbps bit rate, which is higher than the standard 448 kbps used on DVDs, is fully compatible with all existing Dolby Digital decoding products such as A/V receivers, and can provide higher-than-DVD quality from Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks when played back through existing systems.

Thoughts?
0 Kudos
39 Replies
BoloMKXXVIII
Level 7

Re: Roku 4 Audio Output Dolby Digital Plus via Optical

This makes me happy. I don't want to change out my great receiver just because it is older and does not have HDMI inputs. Who wants to leave their TV on to listen to music? Good move Roku. Now, about those RCA outputs for audio..
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.
0 Kudos
MikeyC
Level 7

Is this the same as TrueHD? What about DTS-HD? will Roku 4 pass that as well thru HDMI?
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

"BoloMKXXVIII" wrote:
This makes me happy. I don't want to change out my great receiver just because it is older and does not have HDMI inputs. Who wants to leave their TV on to listen to music? Good move Roku. Now, about those RCA outputs for audio..

Well, I'm not sure this is THE fix, but it does make sense. I guess we'll have to wait for someone to get a box with an older home theater unit and try the optical out for Netflix, for example.
0 Kudos
ngs428
Level 7

"MikeyC" wrote:
Is this the same as TrueHD? What about DTS-HD? will Roku 4 pass that as well thru HDMI?

It is not the same as TrueHD or DTS-HD. DD+ is more streaming friendly.

I asked if anyone has seen pass through support for TrueHD or DTS-HD, we shall see. I highly doubt it will be possible.
0 Kudos
david0406
Level 7

I'm confused. Is this saying that with the R4 in loop DD+ can now be read through an optical output? Couldn't before.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 1 2710X
Roku Express
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 7

"david0406" wrote:
I'm confused. Is this saying that with the R4 in loop DD+ can now be read through an optical output? Couldn't before.

Presumably, it means they licensed DD for it, so they can downconvert DD+ to DD over optical.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

^ which could account for at least part of the price increase.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
david0406
Level 7

"TheEndless" wrote:
"david0406" wrote:

Presumably, it means they licensed DD for it, so they can downconvert DD+ to DD over optical.

Oh well it's just a licensing thing? I thought maybe it was more a technical thing. I don't mean technically Dolby wanting more money. :shock: Smiley Happy
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 1 2710X
Roku Express
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

"david0406" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:
"david0406" wrote:

Oh well it's just a licensing thing? I thought maybe it was more a technical thing. I don't mean technically Dolby wanting more money. :shock: Smiley Happy

Well my understanding is it is a physical thing as well, as in there must physically be a Dolby chip in the Roku to convert DD+ to DD for optical output. However, the physical chip is likely not expensive, it is the associated license fee with the chip.
0 Kudos