Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RandyBski
Channel Surfer

Roku 3930rw making high pitch noise

Just after my Roku updated it self to 11.0 I started to get a high pitch nosie from the audio.  I have tried new cables, a different HDMI port. Different power cable and adapter.  The Roku is about 2 years old.  

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 3930rw making high pitch noise

@RandyBski 

Just to verify, the noise is coming through the TV, not from the actual Roku device? If you turn off the TV, leaving power to the Roku, does the noise stop? If you hit mute on your TV remote, does the noise stop?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RandyBski
Channel Surfer

Yes noise is from TV.

Tv mute, no noise

Unplug HDMI cable from Roku no noise.

Tv off no noise.

It is an audio noise, it seems to correlate to the 11.0 update on this Roku.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@RandyBski 

That confirms it's the audio output of the Roku, not some noise from the device. Thanks for the extensive testing on that.

It it all the time? Or only when content is playing? That is, when you are on the Roku home screen, not playing anything, just sitting there, do you hear it?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RandyBski
Channel Surfer

Yes all the time, does not matter what screen or channel I am on.

I have 4 Roku's in the house this is the only one.  I have tried on a different TV and have the same issue.

The problem seems to be with this Roku device only.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@RandyBski 

Yeah, that's not good news. I was trying to think of anything at all that might point to something other than the device going bad.

The only thing left is if the power source is bad. If you have another USB power brick that outputs 5V at 1A, then you could use that to test. If that doesn't resolve, then it's the device. And only two years old, that's unusual, and also unfortunate.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
RandyBski
Channel Surfer

I have tried a different power cube and cable from a known working device, no change.

I think you just confirmed what I was thinking, bad device.  Just needed that sanity check. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RandyBski,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos