Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sjacree
Level 7

Roku 3600x crash & boot to activation screen

I have a Roku Streaming Stick that has progressively been giving me more and more trouble lately until now that it is unusable. Every time I power on the Roku, it wants me to activate it. This is after a did a factory reboot because it got caught in a continual crash/reboot loop never making it to the home screen. Now, as I go through the activation process, an error message informs me that some of the channels wouldn't install properly and that I would need to manually do a system update. When I do the system update, it installs 'Starz' but I never told it to, never have had 'Starz', and it doesn't show up in my channels. After that, my Roku reports that everything is up to date. If I try to go to any channel, the Roku crashes and reboots to the activation screen.

Model: Roku 3600X - Roku Stick
Serial Number: 5S6715128722
Software Version: 9.0.0 - Build 4084-24
Setup: Roku plugged into HDMI port on back of TV (same problem on both ports). Did have Roku's power supply plug into TV's USB port, but still having same problem with it plugged into a power strip.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku 3600x crash & boot to activation screen

"sjacree" wrote:
I have a Roku Streaming Stick that has progressively been giving me more and more trouble lately until now that it is unusable. Every time I power on the Roku, it wants me to activate it. This is after a did a factory reboot because it got caught in a continual crash/reboot loop never making it to the home screen. Now, as I go through the activation process, an error message informs me that some of the channels wouldn't install properly and that I would need to manually do a system update. When I do the system update, it installs 'Starz' but I never told it to, never have had 'Starz', and it doesn't show up in my channels. After that, my Roku reports that everything is up to date. If I try to go to any channel, the Roku crashes and reboots to the activation screen.

Model: Roku 3600X - Roku Stick
Serial Number: 5S6715128722
Software Version: 9.0.0 - Build 4084-24
Setup: Roku plugged into HDMI port on back of TV (same problem on both ports). Did have Roku's power supply plug into TV's USB port, but still having same problem with it plugged into a power strip.

A couple of things here. One is Starz. The other is the spotty performance from the Roku Stick.

Start first. When you did the factory reset, you had to go through connecting to to your Roku account via a computer, right? Well, when you do that, it offers a list of apps to install. Some are preselected. My suspicion is that Starz was one of those, and you didn't unselect it. Most likely, you didn't notice it was selected, or you notice and tried to unselect but the mouse button press didn't take, or you didn't scroll down on that page to see what all was selected. The net result was that you added Starz without realizing it. I'm thinking that we should take that out of the mix for now. Except for one thing.

You say it attempted to add the Starz app -- and I offered a reason why it would to that above -- but you aren't seeing the app in your list of apps. Am I reading that correctly?

If so, that is very odd behavior, and needs some research. Go to https://channelstore.roku.com log in, using the same Roku account you were using during earlier attempts to set up the Roku. Next, search for Starz. Does it show as installed? Based on what you indicated earlier, it should be.

If it isn't, try the Roku setup again. Using the power supply -- you earlier called the USB power cord the power supply rather than the power cord (you could connect the power cord to the TV's USB, but not the power supply), so let's be careful what we're calling what so that we don't miscommunicate -- power up the Roku.

To do this factory reset, press and hold the reset button on the side of the device. Hold it steady for a full 30 seconds, that is, no release for even a fraction of a second. If you release at all, start the count over. You want to hold it a full 30 seconds. Nothing else matters. A full 30 seconds. I can't emphasize that enough. It's important. Full 30. Not 29. 31 is okay, we're just wanting to make sure it's a full 30.

Once that's done, try the setup again. Be sure to school down on your computer screen for every page when you get to that. Read all the stuff associated with any checkboxes. Make sure you know what's being selected, and why. Only select what you want. Any agreements you pretty much have to agree to in order to use the device, but for apps, you don't have to install anything.

Once that's done, let us know how everything is working.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
sjacree
Level 7

Thanks for your response and trying to help me through this!

I logged into channels.roku.com and found that there are several channels that appear there that do not appear on my Roku (i.e. they do not show up amongst my channels): Sling, Starz, Hulu, Fandango Now, maybe others. I tried to go to the channels store and manually add them so that the would appear amongst my channels, and in turn, uninstall them, but each attempt resulted in a "channel could not be added" error message.

I then proceeded to do a factory reset again as suggested above. Again, I got the error message that some channels could not be installed (Google Play Movies & TV and Sling were not installed). A system update installed Google Play Movies & TV. As of now, the Roku is not rebooting to the activation screen but it does randomly crash and reboot to the home screen even if I am doing nothing with it. I've taken the opportunity to remove some of the channels that I didn't want (Hulu). I was able to manually add Starz and subsequentually remove it so that I would no longer show up in my online account.

When I tried to get on Youtube (and others) as a test, I was informed 'Can't run channel' because "there is not enough space. Please remove one or more of your installed channels and try again." Currently, I only have 9 channels appearing on my home screen. I returned to the channelstore.roku.com to see that Sling and Fandango Now still appear in my channelstore online but not on my Roku. I tried The Roku Channel and was able to open the app but not stream anything.
0 Kudos
sjacree
Level 7

Another update:
Seems to be working better after turning it off and on again. I've deleted all but 4 channels (Amazon Prime, Plex, Youtube and Netflix). I am now able to steam video without it crashing or giving an error message. Will report back if crashing continues or error messages reappear.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Are you in the US? Does your router use a VPN? I wonder if your PC and your Roku appear to be in different countries or regions, and that's why your Roku account is offering these channels, but they aren't showing up in your channels list on your Roku.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
sjacree
Level 7

I am not in the US nor do a use a VPN with my Roku or router (I wouldn't know how nor do I want to pay a subscription for one). I do sometimes use a free VPN with my computer.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I'm guessing that's why you're seeing channels being offered that aren't being installed on the Roku.. your country probably doesn't support them.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"sjacree" wrote:
I am not in the US nor do a use a VPN with my Roku or router (I wouldn't know how nor do I want to pay a subscription for one). I do sometimes use a free VPN with my computer.

"jeffrok" wrote:
I'm guessing that's why you're seeing channels being offered that aren't being installed on the Roku.. your country probably doesn't support them.

To add to what Jeff is saying, there are many services that offer apps for Roku that are not supported everywhere. This isn't necessarily limited to Roku, but we'll keep the focus there.

Netflix is a major example of this. There are many countries where Netflix (the service via a Website) is available, but the Netflix app for Roku isn't supported. This is usually countries where Roku isn't officially supported. Roku is supported here:

• Canada

• United States

• France

• United Kingdom

• Argentina

• Chile

• Colombia

• Costa Rica

• El Salvador

• Guatemala

• Honduras

• Mexico

• Nicaragua

• Panama

• Peru

Outside these locations, it's officially unsupported, and apps may or may not work. That means that apps are hit and miss. Where things get really confusing is if your Roku account is set up as U.S. or some particular supported region, but you're physically in some other location. That would cause the Channel Store on the Website to show one thing and the device to show something else. There are different reasons for this to happen, but it usually involves being physically located in an unsupported area.

This may be what has happened with you. If you're outside the supported area of the world, do not expect anything to work. The fact that anything does is a bonus.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos