Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Level 8

Re: Roku 3600 stick too dark due to RGB issue

"IanG" wrote:
IMO, it seems more likely to be a bug which was what Roku implied in the first place. From the article 'RGB Full VS Limited' author Chris Heinonen comments on the Roku 3: "Roku confirmed there was a bug in something it was doing and are working on a fix for it. I'll update when I get more details from them about the resolution." That was a year ago. Obviously there is no easy fix,

Ha, why do i have a "deja vu" feeling... i know! because i was dragged in that discussion back then.
Here, the exact link you quote is http://disq.us/p/15iblv9
No update since then but i take it there might have been issue negotiating HDMI (wrong EDID?)

however, my Roku 2 does not display this issue when connected to the same equipment, Also, it not only effects content, it also impacts the black level on the home screen. Thanks for the reply.

You need to be much more specific than that, please. There have been so many "Roku 2" players historically, that when someone throws the name i feel like banging my head against neares wall. Which model number precisely? Are you using HDMI cable to connect to exactly the same TV or receiver port? Or are we arguing the fine differences in flavor between HDMI apples and component oranges? Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
IanG
Level 7

Ha ha, I thought you sounded familiar! Smiley Very Happy I believe I mentioned that I was using the same equipment. The Roku stick is plugged into my Pioneer AVR using the same HDMI input as my Roku 2 HD 2500R. My other HDMI inputs entertain a Panasonic BD player, (color space is set to 4:4:2) and a Directv DVR. No issues with any device except the 3600R. I get the same results if I plug it into my Panasonic S60's HDMI input, which doesn't surprise me since the AVR is pass through. No additional processing.

Ian
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

FWIW, #2500's official title was "Roku HD" and it is more the kin of Roku LT and Roku 1/SE than the Roku 2 #3xxx series.
Ping Chris Heinonen in that disqus - to see if there was ever update from RokuCo?
0 Kudos
IanG
Level 7

Will do. Thanks.

Ian
0 Kudos
oghaki
Level 7

This post is misleading—0-255 is certainly not properly described as "non-compliant". In fact, many or most people using an AV receiver should probably choose 0-255 on their devices/display because it is far more common for a device to support full but not limited RGB as opposed to the other way around. Further, I think it would be difficult to find a modern TV that doesn't support full RGB. Also, full RGB offers greater precision when converting from YCbCr, which is the color model used for commercial Blu-rays and DVDs. Video games are rendered in full RGB, and so precision errors result if converted and output in limited RGB. In the end, full RGB allows you to minimize overall conversion error because it minimizes conversion error from YCbCr sources, which will always be present to a degree when outputting any kind of RGB of a YCbCr source, and avoids conversion error for games. Further, it allows you to keep the TV on one setting when using an AVR instead of swapping back and forth for devices that only support full. We should really be thanking Roku for going with full RGB if only one format option is present, although allowing output of either would be ideal. In the end, you really just need to make sure your device output matches what your TV is set to expect, preferring full RGB if available.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

This thread is over a year old.  Please refer to the Forum Rules.

Thread locked.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos