Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chadskie
Level 7

Re: Roku 3600 stick too dark due to RGB issue

I do not have such option on my TV. I've tried changing the color range for the hdmi roku input on the receiver and there's no change. Everything is ran through the same input on the TV from the receiver, the TV is basically just a monitor, a 65in plasma monitor. My HTPC and cable pictures look just fine, though.
0 Kudos
IanG
Level 7

I would send ShawnS a private message with your complaint.  Smiley Wink

Ian
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"chadskie" wrote:
I do not have such option on my TV. I've tried changing the color range for the hdmi roku input on the receiver and there's no change. Everything is ran through the same input on the TV from the receiver, the TV is basically just a monitor, a 65in plasma monitor. My HTPC and cable pictures look just fine, though.

What happens if you connect directly to the TV?  Do you have the same issue?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

"IanG" wrote:
I've been watching a Netflix series called The O A recently on my 3600R and I had to re-set my TV's RGB setting back to limited since it looked wash out with poor black levels. I then have to go back to the full setting again, since most content is way too dark with crushed blacks. I've have not experience this issue with my DVR or BD player when setting my TV to the limited default setting. This has been a on going problem even with the Roku 3:https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=84653 I spoke to a Roku representative in CA who contacted me after I posted this problem last spring. Is Roku ever going to resolve this issue? :roll: Again, I never experienced this with my Roku 2 HD.

it would seem as if Netflix on Roku outputs in studio swing [16-235] - where the other channels you watch have their signal in full swing [0-255]. I remember reading opinion by some studio editing pro, something to the extent they never work with full swing material in broadcasting - but that the amateur videos (cue YouTube uploads) are in full swing.

My understanding is that Roku's handling of the signal ranges is "hands off" or GIGO (garbage in -> garbage out), in the sense it does not do level adjustments, leaving that to the receiver or TV. I.e. if video stream comes as 16-235, it stays 16-235. If it came as 0-255, it goes out the same 0-255. Argument can be made this is the right thing to do - or that it is not. Not doing anything also happens to be the easiest approach Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Big_Mick
Level 7

I posted this response on the other thread I found. Hoping that there is a solution for this issue by now.

I have this exact same issue.

I just purchased and setup a 3600 streaming stick a couple weeks ago. While streaming video on several channels - including my most used one Amazon video - the screen dims and becomes quite dark after a few seconds. Quite dark, making some movies that are already dark nearly unwatchable.

All other HDMI inputs perform well. Problem only occurs when using Roku.

My Samsung plasma does not allow me to have separate settings for each input. I had enough trouble getting my wife to deal with another remote, I certainly do not want to have to teach her to pull out a second remote to manually adjust the video settings when any time she wants to use the Roku!!! That makes Roku a non starter for me. 

A quick Google search indicates many people with the exact same problem, but no solutions. 

Is there a fix for this that I am missing? Do all Roku devices have this issue, or just the streaming stick?

Mick

Roku 3600R Streaming Stick
S/N: 5s56ar596498
Installed: Jan 14, 2017
Last updated: Jan 14, 2017
0 Kudos
IanG
Level 7

I know the Roku 2's didn't have this issue and based on what I read it started with the Roku 3. The conses is that there should be an adjustment on the player since many TV's do not have the option to change the RGB setting.

Ian
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

"Big Mick" wrote:
Is there a fix for this that I am missing? Do all Roku devices have this issue, or just the streaming stick?

I believe all Roku players would behave the same in your setup, if connected the same way (same HDMI input and so on).

It might be of help if you share more details on your setup however, since i find it curious what you said - that screen gets dim after a few seconds of playing - makes me wonder if the TV set logic wrongly detects the TV content levels and switches to crushing them. I am no expert but there are people around (incl. Roku engineers) that know much more on the matter - so why don't you share the exact TV model#, input used and settings for that (game mode? etc) - also what content works (netflix?) and what does not (youtube?) and so on
0 Kudos
IanG
Level 7

I discussed this with Roku corporate last spring and they have been aware of this issue. There have been numerous discussions about it. TV's are compliant with the limited 16-235 RGB range. The Roku 3 and Roku 3600 seem to be using a full 0-255 range based on the edid of the display. If this is incorrect, it can result in a darker then normal color space which produces crushed black levels. Many TV's today like my Panasonic plasma, offer an RGB setting or an auto function that will allow your TV to adjust to the full RGB range if this occurs. However there are TV's that do not and that's where the problem lies. The solution would be to offer some bug fix or RGB adjustment on these Roku players, but Roku doesn't seem to be inclined to do so. See comments: http://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/. Smiley Wink

Ian
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

"IanG" wrote:
... The solution would be to offer some bug fix or RGB adjustment on these Roku players, but Roku doesn't seem to be inclined to do so. ...

For one or another reason Roku is doing as-little-as-possible regarding adjustments like audio output volume (not available at player level), image overscan (not configurable at player) and yes, signal amplitude swings, studio (16-235) v full (0-255).

Here is one reason why i don't think a "magic wand" solution for the levels is possible in the player: as a rule, all movie and TV content comes already encoded in narrow range (cue Netflix). And as practical observation, much amateur content (cue YouTube) is in wide range. And there is no reliable way for the player to tell what kind of content it's been fed, see http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/ ... anon-dslrs
0 Kudos
IanG
Level 7

IMO, it seems more likely to be a bug which was what Roku implied in the first place. From the article 'RGB Full VS Limited' author Chris Heinonen comments on the Roku 3: "Roku confirmed there was a bug in something it was doing and are working on a fix for it. I'll update when I get more details from them about the resolution." That was a year ago. Obviously there is no easy fix, however, my Roku 2 does not display this issue when connected to the same equipment, Also, it not only effects content, it also impacts the black level on the home screen. Thanks for the reply.

Ian

https://disqus.com/by/chrisheinonen/
0 Kudos