Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanG
Level 7

Roku 3600 stick too dark due to RGB issue

I have found a problem with the new Roku 3600 streaming stick which I didn't experience with my older Roku 2 HD. I had to raise the brightness level on my plasma TV about 20%, otherwise I experience crushed blacks on most content. Even the home screen is too dark. After further investigation I discovered that the 3600's RGB range is the non compliant (0-255) which is more suitable for PC displays. Fortunately, my TV set's HDMI's input can be changed from the RGB standard (16-235) to the non compliant range or auto which resolves this issue. No more crushed blacks. Picture black levels and brightness are back to normal. Not sure why Roku would designed it this way. :roll: Hopefully a firmware update can fix this since many consumers and TV sets may not have the option to correct it. I believe there was a similar issue with the Roku 2 XS. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Ian
0 Kudos
25 Replies

Re: Roku 3600 stick too dark due to RGB issue

I really wish they would fix this!!!

My tv doesnt allow for this adjustment so I am just at a loss.
However, it's not a problem with my tv. just the adjustment. I can hook up my laptop and it works fine because I can adjust everything on the computer.

Shame that Roku doesnt allow you to do this.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
IanG
Level 7

I was just reading this article on RGB range and it also seems to be a problem with the Roku 3. It also doesn't seem to effect all displays and Roku was working on a fix for the R3. See commentshttp://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/ I suggest filing a complaint. Smiley Wink

Ian
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"IanG" wrote:
I was just reading this article on RGB range and it also seems to be a problem with the Roku 3. It also doesn't seem to effect all displays and Roku was working on a fix for the R3. See commentshttp://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/ I suggest filing a complaint. Smiley Wink

Ian

PLEASE check your Private Messages. I sent you a message earlier today regarding this issue.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
"IanG" wrote:

Ian

PLEASE check your Private Messages. I sent you a message earlier today regarding this issue.

C. Shawn Smith

Is there something about your PM that you can share re: color space issues? I don't have the new stick, but I do have a Roku 3 that was fine when connected directly to my TV, but is washed out/gray when connected to my home theater now and then to TV. No adjustments on home theater.

Pioneer VSX-45 home theater unit.
0 Kudos
IanG
Level 7

Not sure what your problem is. I have my 3600 connected directly to my AVR's HDMI input which is pass through to my TV's HDMI. My older Roku 2 HD was connected the same way, yet with the TV's HDMI set to the standard RGB format, the Roku 2 HD didn't display this issue. I had to change the setting to auto or full RGB range for the 3600 to work properly. If the device your Roku 3 is plugged into can process the non compliant full range RGB format, you shouldn't experience any problems.

Ian
0 Kudos
IanG
Level 7

It's been nearly a month since I spoke to a Roku rep named Tyrone, who thanked me for bringing up this issue which was more of problem for Roku then it was for me.

Ian
0 Kudos
IanG
Level 7

I've been watching a Netflix series called The O A recently on my 3600R and I had to re-set my TV's RGB setting back to limited since it looked wash out with poor black levels. I then have to go back to the full setting again, since most content is way too dark with crushed blacks. I've have not experience this issue with my DVR or BD player when setting my TV to the limited default setting. This has been a on going problem even with the Roku 3:https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=84653 I spoke to a Roku representative in CA who contacted me after I posted this problem last spring. Is Roku ever going to resolve this issue? :roll: Again, I never experienced this with my Roku 2 HD.

Ian
0 Kudos
chadskie
Level 7

I also have a 3600R and my blacks are destroyed with it plugged directly into my AVR. The picture is very dark. Will there be a fix for this?
0 Kudos
IanG
Level 7

If your TV has an RGB setting, set it to full range (non-compliant) or auto rather then limited (compliant).

Ian
0 Kudos