Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku 3 wil not play .mkv or .avi files

I have two Roku 3 devices. They will not play .mkv or.avi files? How do I get the Roku 3 to play these files types?

>>RSM
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 21

Re: Roku 3 wil not play .mkv or .avi files

No Roku will play AVIs.  MKV is only a container; it's the codecs used within the container that matter.

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208754908

0 Kudos

.mkv, only the video plays, no sound. And why not .avi?

>>RSM
0 Kudos

.mkv only the image streams, no sound. And why not .avi?

>>RSM
0 Kudos
Level 21

What's the audio codec you're using?  Roku never has supported AVI and I sincerely doubt they ever will.  It's meant to be more of an Internet streaming device than something for streaming your personal collection.  If that's your main purpose for getting one then you may be disappointed.  Look into using Plex which will transcode on-the-fly into a supported format, but requires a computer to be always running.

0 Kudos

O.K., I understand about .avi's. What about .mkv sound not playing?

Thanks.

>>RSM
0 Kudos
Level 21

I've asked multiple times - what audio codec are you using?  Get MediaInfo and analyze what's inside your MKV.  I and many others use MKVs all the time, so there's a problem with yours.  If you're trying to play multichannel AAC (other than stereo) then it won't work.

0 Kudos

Thanks for MediaInfo

I checked one file, it said AC-3 for sound.

Thanks for your help.

>>RSM
0 Kudos
Level 21

AC-3 should be fine.  There's also the issue of whatever your Roku is connected to.  It has to support the format as well, but I think everything should support AC-3.  Try playing with the audio settings on your Roku:  Settings->Audio.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your help.

>>RSM
0 Kudos